Ensuite fan no longer working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyj

Reaction score
Hi people,

Went in the bathroom this morning, flicked the isolation switch and the fan no longer comes on.

I replaced the original, the switch broke and pinged off. Bought a basic one from Screwfix and it's been working fine for 18months.

Is it likely to just be the switch that's broken, as it is used every day, or something more sinister?

Photo below, I think it's fairly standard.

Thank you! 👍🏼

20210502_180743_compress23.jpg

From afar it is difficult to say what the issue is, faulty isolator, faulty fan or a failed connection. It isn't the best way to find a fault by randomly replacing parts until you resolve the issue but seeing as you are actuating this isolator everyday it may well have given up and it wouldn't be a huge outlay to replace it again.

Anyone's guess.  I've known a lot more fans fail than switches, but most fan switches are rarely operated, unlike yours which you say you use daily.

I wouldn't often advocate random replacement for fault finding, but presumably you don't have any test gear so perhaps on this occasion your best bet is try a replacement switch.

If it still doesn't work then it's the fan, or just maybe a wiring fault.  If you don't want to speculate on a switch just put the wire ends a a bit of terminal block for a test.

Thank you for all your replies guys.

I actually have an electrician coming soon installing a towel rail in another bathroom, and replacing a panel heater.

How much should I expect for them to quote to investigate, and fix one of the 3 likely scenarios? 

I.e. quote for switch

quote for new fan installation/labour

quote for fixing wiring

thank you again!

An hour to find the fault, the material cost is dependent on the nature of the problem.

Thank you for all your replies guys.

I actually have an electrician coming soon installing a towel rail in another bathroom, and replacing a panel heater.

How much should I expect for them to quote to investigate, and fix one of the 3 likely scenarios? 

I.e. quote for switch

quote for new fan installation/labour

quote for fixing wiring

thank you again!

it would take a competent spark with test equipment no more than 15 minutes to diagnose the problem

i do a lot of fault finding and do this on the initial site visit so I can tell the owner what the problem is and roughly how much to fix - mainly at no cost

it might even be a simple loose connection 

Last edited by a moderator:
it would take a competent spark with test equipment no more than 15 minutes to diagnose the problem

i do a lot of fault finding and do this on the initial site visit so I can tell the owner what the problem is and roughly how much to fix - mainly at no cost

it might even be a simple loose connection 
Thank you 👍🏼