DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

bonding, New CU

musicspark

Question

Hi chaps

A client has asked me to fit a new CU It wasn't convenient at that moment to have the power off for IR check on existing wiring so I checked the loops on the rings - so far so good. Methinks I'll just have a look at the bonding while I'm here.

the water enters the house behind some pine paneling which then has the sink unit built on in front. I looked in the cupboard underneath where I found a hole, big enough to put your hand in to work the stopcock - no way I could see anything. I then took wander lead from the stopcock to the MET and got a reading of 0.03 ohms

I got the same reading from the metal casing of the boiler although there is no bonding on the incoming oil.

Do I need to take the sink unit out and take off the panneling to get a 10mm

earth to the source of Oil and water.

or is there any leeway in the regs?

10 answers to this question

Well since they are 35mm or less then the main bonds should be 10mm.

I had a similar problem and had to run a 10mm bond inside some d-line trunking around the kitchen, over a door frame, into a cupboard and though a toilet and the hole for the stop cock was almost as large as my hand so that was "fun" getting the clamp on that.

Ian.

I think this thread should be in Q & A

Can I move it?

No - but it appears Admin or a Mod has :D

Lifted some floorboard and found two 6mm earths - one heding toward the water and one toward the boiler.

as I said before, there is no bond on the incoming oil but reading from boiler casing back to MET is 0.03Ohms. So do I have to run a new 10mm to the incoming oil?

any advice always welcome

Archived