Mechanical protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylthom

Reaction score
Hi there

Where the Regs are concerned is it necessary to provide mechanical protection to Twin & Earth when run inside an airing cupboard in the bathroom ? 

I felt clipping to the wall would be better as that is where the hot water cylinder is. The cupboard is only lightly used to store linen.

Thank you.

I don't think you'll find a reference to that in the Regs .    

I would say , in a domestic situation ,  the normal insulation & sheathing on the cable would be adequate. 

You may be over  reacting to the problem .......many of us do ..due to all the rules & regulations heaped upon us .

I've come across one or two younger sparks who almost scared to open their tool boxes . 

Just clip them . 

Hi there

Where the Regs are concerned is it necessary to provide mechanical protection to Twin & Earth when run inside an airing cupboard in the bathroom ? 

I felt clipping to the wall would be better as that is where the hot water cylinder is. The cupboard is only lightly used to store linen.

Thank you.

Have a read of section 522.x.x in Chapter 52, (Selection of wiring systems with ref to External Influences). See if you can find any external influences that are applicable to your installation? If 'Yes' then provide suitable protection. If No then just run it how you like.

DOC H 

The “grey” covering on flat twin & earth is not isolation, but sheathing, which is classed as mechanical protection for the insulated conductors.

Thanks to everyone.

I agree I may be over-reacting. 

My first work on electricity without training was very involved, and at the end I fitted the Consumer Unit with tails dangling for the Board to come and connect. Having examined the work they said the job was so well done I may as well have connected to their supply myself.

Not too long ago I was doing a job elsewhere and switched off everything, including the Consumer Unit. But I decided to test the cable I was going to interrupt. Good thing I did, it was LIVE. How, I do not know. 

It was always my habit to test the circuit even after I KNOW I have put the associated switch off. 

The wall is brick, so clipping will do.

Much appreciation for all comments.

Latest posts