1361 fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybobbob

Reaction score
Hi All,

May be a bit behind on this 1 but....BS 1361 fuse 80amp, cant see any max Zs so looked in appendix 1 for the change in number/what its now referred as, still come up trumps.....

So my question is, what do BS number do BS 1361 fuses fall under?

Thanks in advance

So it does right at the bottom (cant see the wood for the trees) sorry for wasting your time

Not wasting my time at all jimmy, I used it to continue to learn how to beat the online regs into submission!

Don't ask, but as long as you have what you need then that's great.

It does actually say in Appendix 1 what standard number has replaced BS 1361 in the byb.
I saw that, but some of the ratings for bs88-3 and bs1361 are different, they both have an 80A one though, but the figures are different for time/current; 5 secs bs88-3 430A, bs1361 460A

You could use the bs1361 curve in bgb or brb and multiply the resulting Zs by cmin (0.95) I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that, but some of the ratings for bs88-3 and bs1361 are different, they both have an 80A one though, but the figures are different for time/current; 5 secs bs88-3 430A, bs1361 460A

You could use the bs1361 curve in bgb or brb and multiply the resulting Zs by cmin (0.95) I think.

They may well be different.

You would need to check the product standards to see why.

This is one of the failings of the way that BS7671 is structured.

Once equipment & standards are obsolescent then they are removed from the standard.

However, this is the way all standards work.

They only deal with what is new & current.

There is nothing wrong with going back & looking at the old versions to see what the values needed are.

One of the issues is that you would need to ensure that the values are based on current nominal voltage, or re-work them.

Like it or not we now work on 230V nominal, where as previously it was 240V etc.

the curves are exactly the same in byb, bgb and brb for bs3036 fuses, so I assume at least for these editions the curves are based on the same voltage.

the curves are exactly the same in byb, bgb and brb for bs3036 fuses, so I assume at least for these editions the curves are based on the same voltage.
very good point, cmin??????

sort of like the new mc units....does this now mean all insulated ones will indefinitely catch fire....

Unfortunately I'm a stubborn so & so which means the more they keep changing names & terminology that is lodged forever in  my brain . the more I seem to use the original names .  

So , in my world all the certs for domestic jobs have main fuse listed as 1361 , earth wires are still earth wires and neutrals are NOT live .

Im going to bore you how this all come about.....

Carried out a full rewire, new db etc.....coming to do the test (yes granted I know I should have checked from the very start) Ze 0.54.

Zero leads out again to double check....sure enough 0.54 :facepalm:  ask dno to come out and check...they say its in their limits (doesn't help me much does it chum) im guessing they laugh at cmin factor. 100mA time delay straight on them tails.

The DNO have very very low readings for new installations now im right in thinking?

Unfortunately I'm a stubborn so & so which means the more they keep changing names & terminology that is lodged forever in  my brain . the more I seem to use the original names .  

So , in my world all the certs for domestic jobs have main fuse listed as 1361 , earth wires are still earth wires and neutrals are NOT live .
Another very good point....in the regs they don't exist....but on the drop down menu when doing certs......its black and white....go fig?

For BS1361 fuses the table for BS1361 fuses should be used. 

For BS88-3 fuses the table for BS88-3 fuses should be used. 

The standard has clearly changed so it would not be correct to record the results of a BS1361 fuse using BS88-3 figures. 

For BS1361 fuses the table for BS1361 fuses should be used. 

For BS88-3 fuses the table for BS88-3 fuses should be used. 

The standard has clearly changed so it would not be correct to record the results of a BS1361 fuse using BS88-3 figures. 
even quoting appendix 1

with reference made to bs1361 being withdrawn even thou they will always exist and now coming under bs88-3.....how would this stand in a court of law, we are supposed to specify which set of many different, forever changing, never understanding, always contradicting, never final, very over priced regs are we not?

with reference made to bs1361 being withdrawn even thou they will always exist and now coming under bs88-3.....how would this stand in a court of law, we are supposed to specify which set of many different, forever changing, never understanding, always contradicting, never final, very over priced regs are we not?

I am sure it would never get that far. It is all lettuced TBH. But a BS1361 is not a BS88-3. If they were identical why bother changing the number?  

It it could be the case that they are so similar that it is negligible. 

I am sure it would never get that far. It is all lettuced TBH. But a BS1361 is not a BS88-3. If they were identical why bother changing the number?  

so recording the values or a 88-3 is acceptable?

Im going to bore you how this all come about.....

Carried out a full rewire, new db etc.....coming to do the test (yes granted I know I should have checked from the very start) Ze 0.54.

Zero leads out again to double check....sure enough 0.54 :facepalm:  ask dno to come out and check...they say its in their limits (doesn't help me much does it chum) im guessing they laugh at cmin factor. 100mA time delay straight on them tails.

The DNO have very very low readings for new installations now im right in thinking?

This may be a daft question, but what's the problem?

They are pretty similar, I did a spreadsheet :D

CaptureBS1361.JPG