18th edition exam related

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikash

Reaction score
Can a person with an electrical engineering degree outside of the UK take part in the 18th edition exam directly without any course or need to take some course 35 hrs course and all?

Think you would struggle to just go and sit the exam without any course hours.
Haven’t done the 18th as I am retired now but did the 15th 16th and 17th and put in the course hours before sitting the exam.

Yes you can but do you have any understanding of BS7671?
As above you may struggle without some kind coursework hours if you don't.

Can a person with an electrical engineering degree outside of the UK take part in the 18th edition exam directly without any course or need to take some course 35 hrs course and all?

Technically anyone who can pay the fee to an exam provider can take the 18th edition.

You do not have to show any evidence or proof of experience or qualifications in order the sit the exam. However there is guidance about preferred background skills / knowledge / experience etc.. that would be best to achieve a good pass mark..

But it is just an open book multi choice exam that anyone can choose to take if they so wish..

Some course/exam providers may be reluctant to accept persons they think unsuitable as they do like quoting good percentage success rate statistics with all candidates who sit the exam with them! So they may do a few background checks to satisfy their own criteria.

Last edited:
thank you all for the response. It's just that I want to participate in the exam with self-study of the 18th regulation book along with some YouTube videos and mock tests. Also, I find it confusing the course price variation.

Last edited:
I teach the 18th course and anyone not taking training will fail.the exam is pretty intence imho

• REALLY ?
Reactions: UNG
thank you all for the response. It's just that I want to participate in the exam with self-study of the 18th regulation book along with some YouTube videos and mock tests. Also, I find it confusing the course price variation.

What do you hope to achieve by passing this exam?

the answer is yes, you can take the exam with out doing a course, I know two guys that have done that one was like you with some experience and the other was a truck driver who just read the regs in his brake time , and both passed , its open book so you just need to be able to look up in the book , I think it's about 2 minutes a question, and 75% PASS mark ( 1 in 4 chance per question and you can get 1 in 4 wrong and still pass)

Last edited:
What do you hope to achieve by passing this exam?
almost every job vacancy shows the minimum 18th-edition requirement. So by doing this, I think it will be a plus point for my CV and job career along with some knowledge relating to BS and regulations.

the answer is yes you can take the exam with out doing a course, I know two guys that have done that one was like you with some experience and the other was a truck driver who just read the regs in his brake time , and both passed , its open book so you just need to be able to look up in the book , I think it's about 2 minutes a question, and 75% PASS mark ( 1 in 4 chance per question and you can get 1 in 4 wrong and still pass)
I am also willing to do the same thing but wasn't sure whether it is mandatory or not to take courses.

I teach the 18th course and anyone not taking training will fail.the exam is pretty intence imho
I'm curious on what you use as the basis for your comment, personally I think you would have little problem in passing it without the course with a reasonable amount of electrical knowledge and experience

The 18th edition exam is an exam showing you know how to look in a book. There is no requirement for any retained knowledge past that.

Hence why if you can use an index you can pass the exam quite easily.

Had a go as was intrigued, just short of the average trained chimp😬, a mixture of educated guess, pure guess and the odd one I knew. I believe with the book I could pass fairly easily based on my experience of having to do IPC610 every few years in the past, same sort of thing being able to reference the correct section…..

Attachments

• IMG_0467.png
    IMG_0467.png
    344.9 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts