1phase from 3 phase?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanCoote

Reaction score
I live in FRANCE. I have a electrical box near my water heater that has three lives wires and an earth. Using a multimeter I get 407v across each pair on live cables, and 230v across each live cable to earth. There is no neutral wire. I would like to get 230v but not using the earth. 

Does this power the whole property or is this something separate. 

A lot of French stuff has no neutral, 

They just take it to earth , 

In reality it's the same thing at star point anyway. 

It's only if you need RCD protection it becomes an issue, but most french electrics are a bit agricultural at best, to put it mildly. 

If you do need protection you could always use an isolating Tx across L/E 

Thank you steptoe, binky, fleeting & Andy, very helpful. I have supplied a Neutral and I now have 230v!  

I ran 1.5mm single copper wire a neutral back to the main fuse box and connected to one of the three phases. Tested at 230v. All good, it worked last night, so now I get the cheaper electricity tariff between 1am and 7am. The cheaper tariff three phase supplied to the house here in France is automatically switched on and off at the main fuse board by a signal generated by the supply company (EDF), so I don't need a timer for my Chauffe Eau - hot water boiler. 

How much power does this water boiler consume. I'm not au fait with French regulations but how did you run this new neutral. Also "borrowing" a neutral from another source of supply could leave a dangerous situation for anyone working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How have you installed the new neutral. As I say you have created a dangerous situation.

I ran 1.5mm single copper wire a neutral back to the main fuse box and connected to one of the three phases. Tested at 230v. All good, it worked last night, so now I get the cheaper electricity tariff between 1am and 7am. The cheaper tariff three phase supplied to the house here in France is automatically switched on and off at the main fuse board by a signal generated by the supply company (EDF), so I don't need a timer for my Chauffe Eau - hot water boiler. 
So, are you saying at the main incomer there is a 3phase &N supply,? 

Is this other supply where you have taken this neutral from a totally separate supply from your heating one or does the other supply also isolate the heating one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts