2 lights in kitchen and 1 switch. Would like separate switches.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys and thanks

ProDave - definitely 2 cables but looks like 1.5mm.  

Live and unsheathed earth from one cable.  The live goes to the L1 and the earth is with another earth in one sheath to the earth terminal.   The other cable has live, earth and neutral.  The neutral goes to the COM terminal and the earth is just hanging there - not connected to anything.

I would like 2 switches - next to each other is fine - one a normal switch for the kitchen area and a dimmer (which is there already) for the dining side.  Running a cable is no problem - the bedroom and bathroom floor are up already :(  

Sharpend - thanks you too.  It would be so much easier if I could just put a pic up but there is just one cable - twin and earth from the ceiling and connected to the light fitting which on the kitchen side is a bar with 4 spotlights on.

Thanks a lot guys x
Not really job for none spark but could guide you through it but only in real talk not text 

#039;s%20kitchen%20lights%20album%20on%20Photobucket"%20/></a></div>#039;s%20kitchen%20lights%20album%20on%20Photobucket"%20/></a></div>Finally !!!  Managed to master Photobucket.  Photos herewith.

Photo number 1 - switch socket. 2 cables - the one on the left has a red, black and unsheathed earth.  The one on the right an unsheathed and red.

Photo number 2 - cables coming from the switch the under the floor upstairs.  The one on the let goes to the dining light. The one on the right to a JB on the other side of the house.

Photo number 3 - The cable at the top is from the switch and goes (with the other 2 cables) to the dining light.

Photo number 4 - the cable from the switch and the other 2 cables through the dining area ceiling.

Photo number 5 - 3 cables from previous photo. the red and earth are one cable (sheathing had been cut back and can't pull through  ceiling any more).  The other 2 cables are both single black wires in each cable.

Photos 6, 7 & 8 show the wiring to the dining light fitting.

Photo number 9 - the is the connection between the dining area light and the kitchen light (dodgy looking but will get a proper juntion box).  The red, back and green/yellow on the left are to the kitchen light.  The cables in the bottom connection are 2 earth wires ( one from dining area and the other I would think goes to the lounge), the central connection just has a single black wire and the bottom one has 2 red wires.

Photo number 10 - the kitchen light - again couldn't pull any more down but just the red, black and green from the connector.

Thank you all once again and any questions please feel free to ask.  It may take a while to reply however as I'll probably have to take the floor up again :)  

#039;s%20kitchen%20lights%20album%20on%20Photobucket"%20/></a></div>

Tried again but doesn't look as if it's working.

1.%20Switch_zpsxkvdi5dy.jpg

I'll have to do them all separately - the only way they'll upload.  Sorry they're so big .

2.%20Switch%20cables%20%20under%20floor_zpsvwxs8qjh.jpg

I've omitted photo 4 - just 3 cables going through a hole in the floor to the dining ceiling.

6.%20Dining%20light%20cables%20when%20connected%20to%20fitting_zps7xsotnnj.jpg

I've also omitted 6a and b - just the same as the last one but in 2 halves.

7.%20Connection%20from%20dining%20light%20to%20kitchen%20light_zpssp8on3pa.jpg

And finally the last one - 

8.%20kitchen%20light%20wires_zpseunnxsed.jpg

I think there is some confusion as to where the cables in the second picture go? The single red is the switch live to the dining light, or so it seems if I'm reading pictures correctly, the kitchen light has been connected directly to the dining light terminals (pic9)  therefore this is why it would come on with one switch. 

What you need to establish is where exactly the other end of the red and black cable at switch goes to? You say dining light but then it doesn't appear in the picture? It's possible that it may go to the junction box and used to feed a separate light hence you saying that there used to be two switched, but without seeing the junction box and/or tracing the cable difficult to judge.