2 way switching wrong

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right comprende. Makes sense though. some might put them on the edge with the longest side vertical!
The square ones also have 'TOP' written on multiple sides. ;)

There is a reason though, but it can still go 2 of 4 ways so 'TOP' is on 2 sides, or on everything but the sides I suppose technically.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble here but if you look inside most switches it says 'TOP' at the er top.... This site is always on about following rules so how could you possible break the rule about putting TOP at the top?
Indeed, and a failure to follow manufacturers' instructions is a failure to comply with the Regulations. I must admit to having a wee bit of OCD so swapped strappers in my own house and changed gangs to whichever was nearer to light being operated.

But in general I would leave it (although it might annoy me!) because it's still correct.

Switches upside down and crooked , I have to do something about them , If I can of course but Tesco's take a dim view of you meddling with their switches while your wife's doing the shopping . You try telling them that every little helps... :coat

What behind switch now that really is wrong. :eek:
I`ll only line screws up on "finish" faceplates - white plastic go wherever they end up; but I`m with you on the 2 way - Steptoe`s method is the one I follow, too.
?:|

Switches upside down and crooked , I have to do something about them , If I can of course but Tesco's take a dim view of you meddling with their switches while your wife's doing the shopping . You try telling them that every little helps... :coat
ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

equal to/less thanequal to/more thancrbvcurbvubruvbruvbPrayohmsx half deltax one delta nx five delta n

What I'm on about is when you have 2 way switching...Now normally when both switches are in the same direction then the light is off, but when they are opposite it's on...

What I'm asking is what do you do if it's the reverse??
What are you on??

I have never bothered checking. as long as its a proper 2 way and functions correctly, who cares? no one has ever complained about it. some people must be very pedantic.....
No one has ever complained to me either... they even look at me funny when I say "I've just got to fix that switch, it's upside down!"

Must be all the coffee I drink!

So, do you all refuse to install intermediate switches on the basis that they wreck the symmetry of your two way switching? ROTFWL
it still works if you check your logic table,

try it.

I have never bothered checking. as long as its a proper 2 way and functions correctly, who cares? no one has ever complained about it. some people must be very pedantic.....
some COW and BI will pull you on it,

but to me its just good practice,

and perhaps just a teeny bit of OCD,,,,,,,,

If you have just the two switches and wire it so that both up is off, then both down will also be off.

If you introduce a third intermediate switch and start with all up is off, then all down will be on.

Add a fourth switch, however, and you'll be back to the situation where if all up is off then all down will also be off.

You can extend this indefinitely: If you have an even number of switches, then all down and all up will result in the same state; if you have an odd number of switches, then all down will always be the opposite state from all up.

It doesn't really matter that much, but personally I would connect so that all up is off, however many switches are in use. That way you know that by returning all the switches to the up position (i.e. off if they were regular 1-way types) that the light is off.

Now in America, where light switches are normally up for on, I'd make sure that all switches down is off - Which would be the same thing for an even number of switches, but not for an odd number.

Confused yet? :)

Latest posts