Replace gen 1 smart meter with gen 2 will my FIT export now be recorded?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman22

Reaction score
I have had solar panels since 2014 and the then dumb meter couldn't read my export so it was deemed 50%. I moved away from the FIT contract company to another as my energy supplier, they wanted to fit a gen 1 smart meter which turned out to be quite dumb, unreadable by the next energy company I moved to. In fact is was unreadable by any energy provider until last year when my current energy provider started to read it.
With todays high prices I would now like to be able to smart read my Gas as well as my electric consumption, my energy provider says I have to have a gen 2 electric meter so the smart gas meter once installed can transmit its data to the gen 2 device.
IF I go ahead and have the 2 new meters fitted, is the FIT contract company going to somehow become aware and no longer pay me the 50% deemed export, but the exact amount which if I work it right is seldom anywhere near 50% and pays me around £50 during summer months.
The fit contract company has not been my energy provider for many years but i'm unsure how the meter data is protected against sharing amongst energy providers.
I dont wish to ask the FIT company directly as that may be lifting the lid on pandora's box.

I have a FIT contract similar to yours, with BG. They scrutinise the generation meter reading, demanding photos after sunny periods, (as though they think I'm cooking it!), but they have no knowledge of or access to my dumb supply meter which is paid to EDF.
I don't believe they would know or care if I changed suppliers or had the meter changed.
I believe my FIT contract is a fixed, government supported agreement subject only to my not modifying the generation system

Thanks for the replies, I have asked my energy suppliers who would be privy to any data from my smart metering without formally getting my consent, they didn't have a stock answer for that and have passed my question to their "inner circle" ;)

Latest posts