2015 Budget And The Self Employed.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And how many council homes were built under New Labour exactly???
As said new labour was is no more than washed Tory. My point being if you want to buy a house go buy one but the thatcher should never have sold off the council stock.

Here's an interesting observation.

Many people who bought an ex council

House still remain in it, so they have the expense of upgrading the windows insulation etc, but here the govt is paying to build new houses for social housing (read new council housing) then paying the benefits to support those in them? So was it right to sell the original housing stock?

here is one for you, regarding houses,

I thought I lived in an ex-council house, then the wife [who has lived in area all her life] explained it,

private built houses, 2 & 1/2 bed semis, built like a lot of council type houses tbh,

privately owned, labour bought them off the owners under compulsory purchase for some wild scheme they had, at about twice their market value,

scheme never happened, less than a year later sold them all off for about 20% UNDER the market value, which was about the same as when originally purchased,

so, they bought 40K houses for 80K, then 9months later sold them again for 30K,,,   :shakehead

how is that any sort of common sense whatsoever?

and people wonder why the country has so much debt under labour,,,,,,,

I've seen quite a few different governments and as a general overview and as a working sparks ,  our standard of living always seemed to drop under Labour . 

Although I was an ETU  member , I had the Labour Party subsidy removed from my subs .   As contractors we only carried union cards to defeat the "Closed Shop"  within industry whereby you wouldn't be allowed to work at that particular factory without it .

However our "Brothers "  or "Comrades" or " Fellow Sparks"  in those factories would generally treat contractors with distain .   And did NOT wellcome you at a union meeting .    Contracting sparks were very difficult to control , too diversified ,  withdrawing their labour would not have the same political  effect as stopping a car factory , a steel works or shutting the power off.   TBH  the Union didn't give a flying phart for contractors.

The union leaders ,   in & out of Number 10, many leaning to communism , were as well known as TV stars, footballers & MPs .  

Who was running the country?   When the government is funded by the Trade Unions  they have to do as they are told. 

Many people are too young  to remember  government control of industry .

Consider the nationalised industries in the UK that I remember.   Government owned , run & controlled.

The government controlled.........

The railways. ( British Rail.)

Much of the road transport .  ( BRS   British Road Services.)

The National Grid     ( CEGB)

The local DNOs     ( Midlands Electricty Board ,  MANWEB   etc )

The Gas Board

The Water Board.

Steelworks

All the telephone network   ( except for Hull)

All the post   ( GPO)

All the Parcel post  (GPO)

All the Post Offices  ( GPO)

Local city councils ran most of the bus services.

For many years , local radio was held back , commercial radio resisted , 0ne channel TV only... commercial TV held back.    Ham radio was allowed but for some time  Morse Code was a requirement  ( keep the Rif-Raf out) ...........   CB radio worried the establishment .

And Teenagers didn't exist until someone said ......."Have you heard this bloke called Elvis?"

Newspapers shouted the opinions of the main political  parties   ( No change there then)

Last edited by a moderator: