Starting Up Self Employed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also look at getting some Terms and Conditions - I found some from a larger contractor on Google and modified them (changed company name) for my use.
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

This might sound over the top, but will allow you to charge 30% (or whatever figure you choose) up front on jobs over say

Ok im starting my letter now, just wondering wether or not i should explain that i saw that they had applied for planning permission? Does that seem a bit stalker-ish? haha.

Also what kind of things should i look to cover in T&C? Right to cancel before work commences etc?

Thanks

Sorry for this double post but thought it needed its own post. This is the main body of the Letter im going to send out, obviously the bits in brackets will be edited to suit the person i am mailing too.

Dear (insert name)

I am writing to you to let you know about a new Electrical Contracting Company that are serving, Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife. Johnston Electrical Services is a newly formed Electrical Contractor offering a high quality of work. We are highly driven and always strive for 100% customer satisfaction.

I have been informed of your recent application for planning permission for a(n) (type of job here) to be built on your property. The main reason of this letter is to enquire whether you currently have an Electrical Contractor in mind for this job. At Johnston Electrical we offer high quality workmanship, competitive prices and free estimates and quotations.

If you already have a contractor in mind or place, we would appreciate it if you kept us in mind for any other Electrical work you ever have in the future. No job is too small. Below is a small list of some of the type of work we undertake:

The business cards are a really good idea. You could put your cv on the back of them too. That should drum up a bit of work.

Basically, there is no company in Edinburgh currently looking to take an Electrician on (especially someone who only became time served at the tail end of last year)So I have entertained the Idea of going Self Employed and trying to drum up a little bit of small works so I have some money to live off, and most importantly stop me from hanging myself from boredum of being in the house all day! headbang

Anyhoo, I have been reading up on it, ordered a small ammount of cheap business cards and been creating a small website (started out as boredum but then got a bit more interested in the idea) so I have been reading up on it over the last week or two but still have some questions, just thought i would post on here and ask you guys.

Business accounts - Been told by someone who works in a bank I would need one of these, googled Business accounts and found Lloyd TSB offer a start-up account, so had a wee spy at it and it says i need to know my "Expected annual turnover", as i have no experience in working on my own I have no idea what my expected annual turnover would be. I know how much i want to make, but have no Idea what i will make?

Tax and National Insurance - I know that i have to register as self employed and pay my own tax and NI, but i have a question regarding this. Say I manage to drum up enough work for a few weeks but then have a dip in work and dont work for another 3-4 weeks, what do i do regard tax and NI? I imagine i wouldnt pay tax because i wouldnt be working, but would i cancel the direct debit for NI and declare my self unemployed or would i have to suck it up and get back on the advetising?

Anymore hints and tips regarding starting up would be greatly appreciated guys, as i said im tying the noose as we speak due to boredum etc!

Cheers :Salute

The business cards are a really good idea. You could put your cv on the back of them too. That should drum up a bit of work.
You can fit your CV on the back of a Business Card??? ; \

Dear (insert name)

I am writing to you to let you know about a new Electrical Contracting Company that are serving, Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife. Johnston Electrical Services is a newly formed Electrical Contractor offering a high quality of work. We are highly driven and always strive for 100% customer satisfaction.

I have been informed of your recent application for planning permission for a(n) (type of job here) to be built on your property. The main reason of this letter is to enquire whether you currently have an Electrical Contractor in mind for this job. At Johnston Electrical we offer high quality workmanship, competitive prices and free estimates and quotations.

If you already have a contractor in mind or place, we would appreciate it if you kept us in mind for any other Electrical work you ever have in the future. No job is too small. Below is a small list of some of the type of work we undertake:

Haha im not going to not like you for trying to help me out!

I appreciate your input, I was never good at writing at school and probably never will be :Blushing

Ill have another re-think, not sure on what could be my Unique Selling point at the minute.

Anyway Cheers again for the help.

Haha im not going to not like you for trying to help me out!I appreciate your input, I was never good at writing at school and probably never will be :Blushing

Ill have another re-think, not sure on what could be my Unique Selling point at the minute.

Anyway Cheers again for the help.
Hello again DeeJay...

was about to post some more last night......

But Admin had unplugged the forum to do the hoovering....

(Some message about doing back-up's was his alibi!!!!!)

Anyway back to the point in hand... The question you need to think is..

What exactly is the problem you letter needs to address?

so just bashing a few initial thoughts about..

• Your letter is aimed at domestic customer who have a proposed building project to complete.
  • The first person they will normally agree a contract with is the builder.
  • The builder will 99% of the time have his own contacts for electricians he uses.
  • The builder will often quote for the complete job INCLUDING electrical works.
  • However the builder often only quotes for the bare minimum essentials.. e.g. 1xlight 1xSwith 2xSockets in each room!!

So using this as a foundation you need to think of some better points in your favour for the homeowner to pick you.

(this can be your Unique selling point -vs- the builder jobs lot cost cost for the whole project.) ;)

Think of how other big companies promote their brand / service...

e.g. Two large supermarkets or Two DIY sheds or Two Department stores or Two Electrical retailers,

may each be selling the exact same product as their immediate competitor...

Some push price, service, convenience, after-sales support etc.. etc..

Fundamentally these business principals are the SAME for EVERY trade!

You need to start thinking with a business mind NOT just an electricians mind.

Will be back later now admins got us plugged-in and running again..

(just hope he don't unplug it again to put the toaster in!!!)

:^O :^O:coffee

I have PM'd some suggestions for your letter..

Hope that helps.

Guinness

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 02:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:53 ----------

Ok Daryl..

bit of public picking on you m8

I just got a gut feeling you have found some part of this forum helpfull to you...

so why not stick a small token of appreciation towards Admin and all his hard work keeping this place running?

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?6-Forum-Paypal-Donations.

Maybe the forum has saved you the cost of a round of drinks?

every little donation is REALLY GENUINLY appreciated by Admin..

Especially during the past few days he's been working his socks off doing upgrade work...

P.S.

I will just add unlike some people on here...

I have NEVER met or spoken to admin..

I wouldn't know him if I bumped in to him tommorow

but he is doing one helluva good job keeping this place up to date!!!

:Applaud :Applaud

And you can get a GOLD trophy under your name if you make a small donation!

:Salute :x

Latest posts