2330 L2 Practical Assessments (Unit 206)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05gmccarthyg

Reaction score
Got a practical assessment coming up and I'm a little bit nervous. I am comfortable with fitting the Consumer Unit, Conduit, Manufactured Bends, Trunking etc...But it's the wiring and the testing I'm struggling to remember. I've looked at some different circuit diagrams but they haven't told me anything, they tell me what to do, but they don't tell me why to do it. And the testing too. Has anyone done their assessment recently and can tell me what they are expecting me to test please?

Much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Which assignment are you referring to? The 206?

Regards,

Admin.

Have you drawn wiring diagrams for this yet ? Because when I did it a few years back, we had to draw a wiring diagram and fill out a stores requesition sheet with all the items needed for the job. This would help you a great deal in wiring it up in the exam. You should have had some testing experience too. I'm sure someone that has done this more recently will bring us up to date with the current requirements. I'm sure you will find diagrams in the learning zone though.

Have you drawn wiring diagrams for this yet ? Because when I did it a few years back, we had to draw a wiring diagram and fill out a stores requesition sheet with all the items needed for the job. This would help you a great deal in wiring it up in the exam. You should have had some testing experience too. I'm sure someone that has done this more recently will bring us up to date with the current requirements. I'm sure you will find diagrams in the learning zone though.
+1

Take you time and think logically about the testing and youll do fine mate - its not designed to catch you out, but to check you are aware of what you are doing and have been listening in class :)

If you're getting the experience in college or as an apprentice it isn't really that difficult, try not to overbend your conduit and ensure that all Exposed/extraneous parts of the isntallation have been bonded/earthed correctly as most importantly thats what they're looking at.

I have my 302 in 2 weeks as mine got cancelled today, it's essentially the same nerves lol!

Hi, I did my 206 last year! It wasn't as bad as I imagined though!! I fit the Consumer unit first then a Lighting rose with a two way, Intermediate, and another two way switch.

Then it was a Radial with 4x Double sockets + a meter of FP200 to another double socket.

I know each College has a different setup so I think I got off lightly there!!!!

The DEAD tests were just simply Polarity, Continuity (R1+R2)(Rn) and Insulation Resistance L+N+E.

The LIVE tests were Polarity and fuctional testing. They are always keen to ask WHY we are doing these tests and what results we expect to get. They were are not easy to explain at the time and I struggled to explain Polarity so if your any good with a Screwdriver and can tell them what they want to hear then you'll do just fine.

I got a PASS by the way because my Light was perminantly on and wouldn't switch off!! LOL, Good luck!!!!!

Always remember to take your CRIPPLE friend to testing

C - continuty of protective conductors - gas and water bonds, R1+R2's (at furthest point)

R - Ring continuity - end to end and crossover tests of ring circuits in OSG and JTL books

I - Insulation resistance

P - polarity dead - usually checked while doing R1+R2's

P - Polarity recheck of supply LIVE

L - Loop Inpeadance and fault currents LIVE

E - Everything else - RCD & functional testing LIVE

Its not as bad as it seems, try to not let nerves get the better of you and you'll be fine.

P.S. Make sure you tighten the conduit couplers and bushes or you loose points - common loss.

204 & 206 are centre derived assessments, that is designed by your centre within C&G guidelines and approved by the External Verifier. It will be slightly different at every centre but must use a number of wiring systems and include consumer unit, lighting & power. You should be given the spec and be expected to draw up circuit diagrams, tools list & materials list prior to carrying out the installation. Safe isolation will probably be required before the install is started and dead testing (continuity, IR & polarity) required prior to eneregising the completed installation.