2330 level 3 V part P

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeff, I can sympathise with you.

I started out on an install background, but now I do maintenance.

I have found over the years that lads who come from a putting it in background morph into a maintenance post far easier than lads who trained initially in maintenance then went to install it. It's not the fault of the engineer, it is the training they received.

I applied for a teaching job with a local training centre, I had all the quals they wanted (and more) but when I saw the curriculum I questioned it. "Where's the install training" I asked. They don't need it they are maintenance, I was told.

To maintain equipment you need to know how to put it in and to me, the best way to teach a lad electrics is to teach him what he looks at every day, his own home, domestic electrics. It wasn't on the curriculum.

Domestic is the fundamental basis to all electrical work, if you aren't taught that the rest becomes detached from you.

I remember first being taught 1 way switching. That very weekend I installed some security lighting in my Grans house, which later saved her from being burgled.

Zeff, I can sympathise with you.I started out on an install background, but now I do maintenance.

I have found over the years that lads who come from a putting it in background morph into a maintenance post far easier than lads who trained initially in maintenance then went to install it. It's not the fault of the engineer, it is the training they received.

I applied for a teaching job with a local training centre, I had all the quals they wanted (and more) but when I saw the curriculum I questioned it. "Where's the install training" I asked. They don't need it they are maintenance, I was told.

To maintain equipment you need to know how to put it in and to me, the best way to teach a lad electrics is to teach him what he looks at every day, his own home, domestic electrics. It wasn't on the curriculum.

Domestic is the fundamental basis to all electrical work, if you aren't taught that the rest becomes detached from you.

I remember first being taught 1 way switching. That very weekend I installed some security lighting in my Grans house, which later saved her from being burgled.
mate, to my mind its people like you that should be doing the training....all our lot are in to is getting us to pass exams and getting their contracts renewed on their pass rates so they can continue their lovley lives, the question of weather the stuff their teaching us is of any real value is blanked..............thats bad for us and bad for the industry!!!!!!!!!! we had a test set on how the atom is split an how it works......tell me how the hell thats ever gunna be used in any job but with NASA!!!!,...still dont know how to wire an industrial contactor tho!!! :(

Totally agree with you there as I found that on the 2330 probably 50% or more of the theory will never be used and even the lecturers admitted that it was upto us to get practical side of learning from our employers.

However as my main job wasnt related to electrics then I didnt have this option but luckily made friends with a full time sparks on the course and worked with him whenever I had the spare time.

It is ridiculous the amount of theory you learn and a lot of the lads struggled but I found this easy..ish as I have always been good at maths and sciences.

IMHO they should have more bias to install practice which is what I though they would do at my college as they had loads of motors and other equipment on show within the electrical dept. We only wired up a motor and starter on one occasion and really it was brushed over really quickly. On the practical side installs were done on wooden boards where neatness of cable bends and even spacing of clips seemed to be the main priority .