Getting Part P through Napit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec2012

Reaction score
I have completed my C&G 2330 around 3 years ago and have since been working in the security industry doing alarms and cctv, i have now set up on my own but am getting more and more work electrical wise so i am looking into getting part P registered. i spoke to a guy who teaches in the collage i attended 3 years ago and he said i need to do an NVQ level 3 before i can get my part p with would take 16 months but he advised me to ring Napit and ask if there was any way round it so i did and Napit told me all i need to do is there full scope week long course and if i pass the exams at the end of the course i become part p registered and i can then register with Napit to self certify. is this correct after this course will i officially be part p registered or is it just a con because i know some of the courses say after completion you will be part p registered but in actual fact it is just an 'in-firm' certificate of competence or similar?? any help would be appriciated :)

I thought that to be a QS you had to have a level 3 qualification. Just shows again it's all about money to them. They'll do you a crappy part p course 63 question multiple choice for about a grand then take more money to sign you up ffs.

If you've done 2330 did you do level 3 as this is far superior to the part p course?

Sounds like they're taking the p. ring Elecsa and tell them you've got 2330 (if it's level 3) and see what they say. I think you'd have to do do 17th editiOn wiring regs exam too before joining a scheme.

Good luck anyway mate And welcome to the forum :)

Yes it was level 3 i completed, sorry to be dumb but can you be part p and not register with a scheme such as napit? or is the whole registering with napit part of being part p? how else can you get part p other than through a body such as napit? :C

Yes it was level 3 i completed, sorry to be dumb but can you be part p and not register with a scheme such as napit? or is the whole registering with napit part of being part p? how else can you get part p other than through a body such as napit? :C
You do not get part P, 'Part P' is a building regulation not a qualification. Certain types of electrical work have to be notified to the LABC and a Part P compliance certificate issued to the homeowner. A DIY person can apply to their LABC prior to undertaking work and the LABC will test & certify the works. An electrician who is a member of one of the approved contracting bodies can self certify their electrical work and notify the LABC on the clients behalf for the issue of a part p compliance certificate. A qualified electrician who is not a member of an approved contractor scheme would have to follow a similar procedure to a DIY person, but the LABC would carry out less testing of the works before issuing a compliance certificate. Most LABC's have a sliding scale of charges for notifiable work.

Doc H.

Latest posts