256v - stopping ev charger

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty_Two

Reaction score
My neighbour has just had a Hypervolt ev charger fitted and it is stuck on ' waiting' and then goes to 'error'. He called Hypervolt and they told him that the fault was that the unit is getting 256v and will fail on anything above 250v. His electrican did whatever test he did and confirmed he was getting 256v. He has solar panels, batteries and an inverter. I live next door and I also have solar panels / battery (less tha him). I also have a HV ev charger. My house / ev charger getting is getting the correct voltage (less than 250v( and his house is getting 256v - why might that be?

he could be on different phase than you with less load, in the UK we have 230Volts( not exceeding 10 per cent above or 6 per cent below the declared voltage at the declared frequency) so that could be up to 253V and down to 216V at 50Hz

Sounds to me like your supply transformer from the substation might need to be dropped a tap setting. Worth getting in touch with the DNO telling them that your electrician has said your voltage is out with limits at 256V. They should come and check it. Let us know how you get on.

UK voltage can be as high as 253v, the solar system will see that and output a higher voltage. Easy enough to check, turn the solar system off and see what voltage you get then. The solar inverter, if you flick through the screen options usually displays grid voltage, especially on start up procedure. @roys may well be correct in that the local transformer may need a tweak, I've encountered that a few times.

Because I want to try and help my neighbour; I believe that is a part of the definition of the word 'neighbour'
Knowing what phase you are on doesn’t help your neighbour, explaining to him that his voltage is outside the upper voltage limit and to get in touch with the DNO to check the voltage and adjust the transformer tapping if required will help.

Had one a little while ago were the DNO were not interested unless it was above 265v I put a PQA in and that indicated voltages in the 255 - 258v range fairly consistantly

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.