3 gang switch problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh please Dave tell me you know better than to do that :shakehead , the idea of not testing a multi gang switch multiple ways for correct operation is just mindless, for how long it'd take it's not worth a return trip.
I am not saying I would do that. But this as a building site at a housing development. It does not take much searching to find the short cuts they take. Everything is done to minimum price minimum spec. Only a few of the houses ever get inspected by building control so they can (and do) leave out little details like insulation and nobody knows unless someone complains. So wiring issues like this would not surprise me in the least.

As I thought, nothing less than right from you Dave   :Salute  , interestingly though I have done more than my fair share of new builds and can't say I've ever seen a house not get a visit from BC, even had the odd anal chap get very particular with the builder! 

Individual new builds will get full inspection from BC. But large housing developments often outsource BC or at best only have to have one of each house type inspected by BC. the rest is done on trust. 

They turned all the switches on, all the lights were on. Job done.

Pretty much, not in the slightest bit surprised at this situation.

the idea of not testing a multi gang switch multiple ways for correct operation is just mindless, for how long it'd take it's not worth a return trip.

Once you have done hundreds of the same thing across a site you tend to not go too far into the testing, 'switches on - lights on' is not a lack of proper testing as such (for house bashing). And as for the return trip, this has been like it for 2 years and would probably have stayed like it if the owner hadn't sold up and moved!

I will agree that new installs are far easier to test and in the instance of new build site work can get a bit repetitive, however this is not an excuse to test incorrectly? 

The fact that they tend to be easier to test means that they should take less time therefore no need to cut corners. 

Sadly and clearly not everyone follows my work ethic :C  

I will agree that new installs are far easier to test and in the instance of new build site work can get a bit repetitive, however this is not an excuse to test incorrectly? 

The fact that they tend to be easier to test means that they should take less time therefore no need to cut corners. 

Sadly and clearly not everyone follows my work ethic :C  

Yeah, not saying it is right, just that you get a bit blasé about it when you have wired it yourself, for the 350th time this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know where you're coming from, but it only takes one mistake, not necessarily a switch though!! 
Dead right, I was a QM with a firm, they wanted me to fake test sheets for a load of new builds, test one out of five sort of thing, anyway I was having none of it. The boss was giving it the old "it's fine our lads wired them all" routine, one day I got called to a house that had been handed over before I had tested it, socket on landing not working, found fault, phase earth reverse! Not bad considering it was one of "our" lads that had wired it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts