8mm microbore rad not getting hot

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where is the boiler? I would think the two 22mm pipes go straight to the cylinder cupboard from the boiler (probably via where cat sleeps) then the flow pipe splits using one 3-port or two 2-port motorised valves. One flow pipe going to the cylinder for hot water, the other going back down under the floorboards to the manifold. See if you can see which way this flow pipe goes, it might save you lifting floorboards in the wrong room

where is the boiler? I would think the two 22mm pipes go straight to the cylinder cupboard from the boiler (probably via where cat sleeps) then the flow pipe splits using one 3-port or two 2-port motorised valves. One flow pipe going to the cylinder for hot water, the other going back down under the floorboards to the manifold. See if you can see which way this flow pipe goes, it might save you lifting floorboards in the wrong room
Boiler is bottom left of 4 and pipes go straight up. I’m going to check top right of 5 this evening. 

I will try map the cylinder cupboard see if I can make sense of the pipe work there.

Thanks

Luke

do you have downlighters in the ceilings of the ground floor? Sometimes it is easier to pull down a fitting and have a look rather than lifting floorboards. you can get your phone up in there too and take pics of areas you cant see directly. 

Take care pulling down fittings, the clips bite. And as this is a sparkys Forum, switch off the lighting circuit at switch and fuseboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tune in tonight as  Private investigator  Luke Moreland  and his trusty cat  attempt to locate the Missing Manifold  and solve the Mystery of the Cold Radiator .

My money is on the pipes being blocked or flattened  between the manifold and the rad .     Its possible that it has NEVER  worked  , I've come across that before  and a new owner is more willing to solve it .  

I see the rad is on the ground floor ,  can I ask if the its a solid floor , concrete or screed and if so have the pipes been laid in the screed and if they have ...were they covered in PVC tape  to prevent them  from decomposing by action of the lime in the cement etc.

Has any building/ DIY work  been carried out recently.  

WHo needs plumbers ....we can do this !!!!  

Currently on the case in the top right corner of room 5, found some of the sneaky buggers here.

Will continue destroying neat carpet laying...

Currently on the case in the top right corner of room 5, found some of the sneaky buggers here.

Will continue destroying neat carpet laying...

bedroom.png

I can't lift the floorboard nearest the doorway in this room, chipboard... I might just sell the house.

Green indicates 22mm pipework I assume this loops down and then left to the bottom let corner of the room and down to the boiler (it sits directly below)

do you have downlighters in the ceilings of the ground floor? Sometimes it is easier to pull down a fitting and have a look rather than lifting floorboards. you can get your phone up in there too and take pics of areas you cant see directly. 

Take care pulling down fittings, the clips bite. And as this is a sparkys Forum, switch off the lighting circuit at switch and fuseboard.
Yes have downlights fitted throughout, the nasty 12V kind, each with their own transformer. I'm about half way done converting them to 240V LEDs.

So here's what I'm dealing with - see picture of chipboard covering entire floor.

Snapped a pic of the pipes in room 5, see image of location above. I'm confident the ones going down go to the boiler, can't explain why they go up though. Right is presumably to the cylinder.

IMG_1656 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1657 - Copy.JPG

Going to grab some dinner and reflect on the situation I'm in.

Didn't quite get to dinner, on way to kitchen saw this:

IMG_1658 - Copy.JPG

I was in there faster than my cat going for her venison & pea biscuits.

IMG_1659 - Copy.JPGIMG_1660 - Copy.JPGIMG_1661 - Copy.JPG

What on earth am I looking at here...

those are the manifolds, flow and return for downstairs rads, excellent find inspector.

Not seen any like that before. Instead of spiders, they look like octopi, (or sextopi?) and the spare ends look like they have been capped with putty.

Are they 3.5 meters pipe run from dodgy rad valve?

edit; they are linear manifolds

8932211mytub.jpg

those are the manifolds, flow and return for downstairs rads, excellent find inspector.

Not seen any like that before. Instead of spiders, they look like octopi, (or sextopi?) and the spare ends look like they have been capped with putty.

Are they 3.5 meters pipe run from dodgy rad valve?
This is approximately 3.5 metres away from end of blocked pipe.

It looks like they are just crimped, could be soldered though, need to expose more of the wall to get a good look.

It looks as though two ports are not used? Not sure if the way it is capped off is suitable which makes me think that this is an old manifold that is maybe redundant? 

You could fill the system and see what gets hot or not? 

thats the manifolds, although i was expecting it to be one with compression fittings so you could easily take it apart.... id say easiest way might be to cut the pipe so you can ram something in to unblock it then use a straight conex to join it. just get the right one

spare ends probably flattened and soldered

actually, instead of cutting the 8mm, you could cut the 22 then you can get into the manifold and clean out any lettuced in there

looks like only one manifold, so either flow or return. The other might be behind soil pipe or in other boxing elsewhere.

The fittings are Yorkshire fittings and are soldered.

The blue stuff is factory applied protection against mechanical and chemical damage, so that they can be laid in concrete floor

you need to find out whether that manifold is connected to the dodgy radiator pipe or whether it is another manifold elsewhere BEFORE you open up the boxing above

Edit; possibly tap the dodgy pipe, or you could even do continuity testing :)

Reckon I could use a multimeter?

Need a second pair of ears, well, just one other ear would do actually, other half is out until later.