Adding A 3Rd Switch To A 2 Way Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Hey,

Just after a bit of advice regarding adding a 3rd switch to a 2 way switching circuit. Normally the 3rd switch would be connected to the 2nd switch in the switching circuit but is it possible to add the 3rd switch to the 1st switch in the circuit .i.e. the one with the 2c+e and the 3c+e? It's just that access to the 2nd switch is very awkward :(

Thanks in advance :)

How would the switch be wired? Would L still go in L1 and S/L go in L2?

play nicely now, it's very confusing unless you have tried it, but a bit of paper sketching and thinking and I'm sure Dambo will work it out.

Can i suggest Dambo posting a sketch and we will post helpful comments

play nicely now, it's very confusing unless you have tried it, but a bit of paper sketching and thinking and I'm sure Dambo will work it out.

Can i suggest Dambo posting a sketch and we will post helpful comments
Fair shout Chewbacca! One quick question before I post my attempt and get mocked further - Will the first switch be replaced with an intermediate switch?

Intermediate(s) always go in the middle of the circuit (there's a clue in the name) regardless of where they are physically mounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Binky says ,  tried & trusted method  . pencil & paper .

Try making the first switch an inter ...a 3 core to new sw and connector on L to new Sw and connector on SW to 2nd sw.

So ...L + strapps  to new sw       1st sw becomes inter ........Sw + strapps to 2nd sw.

Fair shout Chewbacca! One quick question before I post my attempt and get mocked further - Will the first switch be replaced with an intermediate switch?
Yes  see my post.

Post away, dont worry about mocking, Chewey has a habit of ripping arms off

In which case if its causing you grief and access is a issue id use remote switches, not ideal but certainly saves time and mess. Your diagram looks alright! but dont quote me on that...Sometimes if something is bugging me ill build the circuit in miniute and check it over first.