Adding batteries to existing system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhups2k

Reaction score
Sorry to jump into this thread.
[Your post has been split. Hi-jacking posts is never good and causes confusion.]
I have a similar question. I'm on a good FiT where i get Deemed and Generated rates for the Solar PV system.
My current set up is as per below. (16x 250w Solar PV panels into 3.6kw Aurora inverter)

PXL_20220303_110242229 - redacted.jpg

I would like to add a Battery system to this and looking at the wiring, it looks like I can only add an AC inverter to help do this without modifying the existing system.
My problem is that I'm looking for a inverter which would give me a power output of more than 5kw.
My existing system (above) is a 4kw setup on a 3.6kw inverter.

Looking at the diagram below from GivEnergy's AC inverter, this all looks possible, but I have no idea how it would work.

1660226026729.png

Is there a AC battery inverter which can help me power +5kw from battery without the need of the solar PV system to match it?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
you can install AC battery separate to the existing system, although I would say that SWA cable maybe too small to take both. The amp clamp or meter gadget supplied with the battery needs to be fitted to yuor meter tails, and in turn needs a cat5 cable between it and the AC inverter.

I would be tempted to ask your fit provider if they would allow installation of a hybrid inveter and battery. A new hybird inverter will be more efficient than what you have (I have the same inverter incidentally) and the swa cable would probably cope with it as a single system

When you replace the inverter you must replace as like for like with regard to power, in your case 3.6kW. Failure to do this will break your FIT agreement

Leave your existing system alone, leave the FIT intact.

Victron Multiplus 2 5000w GX will do the trick, add a battery of your liking, mains supply into the inverter, CT on meter tails job done. It can charge from grid or solar and will support upto 5kW of load.
I am doing this exact thing except I dont have FIT.