adding to an existing lighting circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voltman

Reaction score
we all know that lighting is a radial and it is always good practice to add to the end of the circuit. i cannot remember if it is alright to add a 'spur' so to speak, coming off the circuit other than the end or not?

No issues with that

there are still sparkies out there like to use the spider method

Its another famous "Electricians Myth" Volty. I think we had a thread on myths a while ago.

Just spider it from the nearest fitting and don't worry about it.

The most prolific "Myth" I think, is that you can't pass a neutral through a switch box.

Its been going around for years and comes from the (correct) rule that you don't SWITCH a neutral on its own , the fact that a neutral merely passes through the box is neither here nor there.

we all know that lighting is a radial and it is always good practice to add to the end of the circuit. i cannot remember if it is alright to add a 'spur' so to speak, coming off the circuit other than the end or not?
on a radial, you can take a feed from any point. even if its already a spur from the radial (unless it was made in a smaller CSA than radial - i.e 2.5 on a 4mm circuit)

Latest posts