Advice for use of new phone

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is saving all image files jpg, gif, etc.

good news is you only wanted to be able to import your pics and now you can 

the other files well there just a bonus !! 

They are listed by year & month  back to  1990  when I must have bought this PC .    

I have a vague idea how got there , from following your link , I realised the  phone was suddenly "talking " to the PC.  

Now  , I don't really like this "Cloud" business ,  which I know actually means a Google computer the size of France  .   I have nothing to hide but  am uncomfortable  tho power that Google must now have  ... guess I'm paranoid  .

Thanks for your patience  Sharpie  .      Murdo  I made a note of "Dropbox"    for future ref.   Thanks . 

Now  , I don't really like this "Cloud" business ,  which I know actually means a Google computer the size of France  .   I have nothing to hide but  am uncomfortable  tho power that Google must now have  ... guess I'm paranoid  .

run your own cloud. far easier. soon as i take a pic its syncd directly to my own servers

Back to phone settings  ,  do I need these switched on or off  ?    

Wi-fi ?   Gives you free data (internet) access when in a wifi zone, shop, café, pub, etc  Some you have to enter a password, some just work.

Location ?    Can be useful to help find local facilities, maps, etc, as long as you don't mind the idea that you can be tracked.

Roaming  ?   Not sure, but I think it lets if find available signals as you move around.

Just remembered about "roaming". With it on the phone will normally lock onto any available signal. Within the EU, (this week anyway!), that is free of charge.

If however you go out of EU you will be charged as soon as it connects.  We holiday in Cyprus, and have to remember to switch off roaming if near the Turkish (northern zone) border or start being charged for unwanted connections.

WiFi on when at home or within range of a WiFi you have the passcode for. 

Location on if you are using a map app on phone otherwise off. 

Roaming I leave off 

Thanks , I'll switch off roaming in the Gloamin  & Location  .  

OK  Silly question to you guys ...why do I need Wi-Fi on  at home or anywhere else for that matter ?     

I noticed  the phone has identified about 20 Wi-Fi  connections by my house , including my own  BT hub  , but didn't ask for the Wi-Fi code  .    

Thanks , I'll switch off roaming in the Gloamin  & Location  .  

OK  Silly question to you guys ...why do I need Wi-Fi on  at home or anywhere else for that matter ?     

I noticed  the phone has identified about 20 Wi-Fi  connections by my house , including my own  BT hub  , but didn't ask for the Wi-Fi code  .    

That really depends on your usage and your contract ............. so if you view video on your phone and you have a low data allocation on your contract you will run up additional charges .......

There are also times when you may want to use the internet and don't have a good enough mobile signal but you may have access to an "open" wifi system ............. I would say you should connect to your home wifi and if its BT then you would have access to all the open BT systems on peoples homes ...........

You 've raised another question now Murdo ......my BT  hub is , I thought ,  secure ...so how has this phone hacked into it ?  The hub can't know this is my phone .  

I'd guess there is NO allowance for data  .    Its possible I may want to Google  for some information  once in a while but  really  I just wanted  a telephone ,    a bigger screen , and a querty  keyboard for the occasional text  .   

and a querty  keyboard for the occasional text  .   

all you had to do was press a few letters in a row on the screen...

as for the wifi, you should have had to type its code in first time you used it, although if youve chnaged phones and transfered data from old to new, then it may have also copied wifi info

Just because it sees your WiFi doesn't mean that it's connected to your WiFi.......
A good point  , all I know is theres a switch for Wi-Fi   ,  this is where I stumble with these things  ,  it doesn't  ask for the code  which I know is on that card on the back of the hub .   

I'll  delve into it again .   

as for the wifi, you should have had to type its code in first time you used it, although if youve chnaged phones and transfered data from old to new, then it may have also copied wifi info
There was no data on the old button phone as far as I know .    

All this stuff passes you by if you don't keep up with it ... as with this Forum if you like ...when I joined I didn't realise everyone used a nickname  ( Almost )  so Evans ELectric is my trading name  ....should have gone with  Brummy Deke or something .   

Careful using "Free WiFi"..............we ran a training day at work on Cyber security basically what the attendees thought was a 2 hour power point session that was boring from the first few minutes, this was done on purpose as we also set up an  evil twin "Free open guest wifi" in the room nextdoor to the training room.

Using a wifi pinapple we ran a man in the middle attack on users approximately 10 minutes into the session.

after half an hour the power point was ceased & we gave the real lesson  using some of the captured data & messages that had been intercepted & changed..........needless to say people think twice about using hotel or Mcdonalds & coffee shop free wifi.

Amazing how many people have their wifi connections on phones set to remember....our PEN test girly managed to pick loads up.

A good point  , all I know is theres a switch for Wi-Fi   ,  this is where I stumble with these things  ,  it doesn't  ask for the code  which I know is on that card on the back of the hub .   

I'll  delve into it again .   

When you go into the wi-fi settings generally a phone will show all of the possible connections that are in its vicinity. Typically with a small signal strength bar next to each one and possibly a small padlock symbol to indicate that a connection is secure requiring a password. If it has connected to one of the available connections there is often a small tick symbol to indicate which wi-fi network it has connected onto. If no connection has been established so far, you would normally select one from the list then it will either prompt for the passwords, or just connect if it is an open network. 

Doc H.