Advice needed..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only reason i would buy from a dealer is that hopefully, they would not buy lettuced in the first place.. Thing is, they have the experience and know exactly what goes wrong and what it cost to sort it. The ones i spoke to had a wide range of stuff, but seemed to know what they are on about..

I do like the idea of a volvo one though.. How do you find yours??

john..

James what your view on old diggers with old technology compared to modern "fly by wire" technology?

Take it the price varies wildly on the various factors, weight, age, condition, manufacturer to name but a few.
I'm old school I'd buy not older than 10 years tho we need to just move with the times 

Low hours best if you can find someone whose bought one as a toy avoid with hammer piping as it'll have massive wear on bushes and hidden cracks 

Apprentice I don't have a digger I had a Hanix 1.5 ton open cab on rubber tracks a while back it was good I hired a Volvo 2.5 ton with closed cab for a job the slightly larger machine has a higher sitting position more ability and I think the tracks can extend for steep ground it really comes down to budget the hanix with a trailer and buckets well used but reasonable condition cost 4,500 I'd think the Volvo of the same age (this was in 2004) so say under 10 years old would cost around 8,000 that's the problem can you justify it the other thing you'll find is once you get your digger home you'll suddenly have lots of friends you've not seen for years appearing and after a catch-up theyll say by the way I see you're not using your digger .......

The son can’t sell anything without the liquidator’s agreement as it isn’t his property.

That said the liquidator’s would look on it as a source of income to clear any debts so you should give it a punt.

The pecking order as you will probably know, HM government, Banks and finally the poor sods the business owes money to.

P.S.

Why do you need/want a mini digger?
HMRC are now bottom of the list Tony, or at least they were, when my company went bump about 8 years ago.

The liquidators get their cut first, what is left is split among the other creditors on a pro-rata basis, unless the banks have a charging order they are not entitled to any more than any other creditor.

Hi Paul!

What worried me, is that the son insists on cash.. Should it not be a cheque written out to the firm, or at least to the liquidator??

Anyway, i think they just want to grab the money for themselves, well, that is theft i think..

How do i know that the liquidator even knows the thing exists?? What happens when he finds it had disappeared without a paper trail??

I want a digger as loads to do around my house, well, not LOADS, but enough that i do not want to be hiring the things, be better to buy one and then i can use it at my convenience. I would not be able to deal with the hire people anyway..

I will buy one use it to do what i want, [which will take some considerable time!] and then sell the thing..

For all you know the liquidator might find the receipt for when it was bought, or is stated as an asset - then go looking for it ................... tricky one

That is what i mean.. As soon as they said it had to be cash i knew there was something not right. I should do the digger version of HPI'ing the thing, but i am not going to waste £30 doing that. I might get one from a dealer.. At least then i know i will be able to sell it on, and that there is no-one looking for it..

They were really helpful in the plant place. i asked them did they ever get offered stolen stuff, and they said not directly, but that all the time they would have people that bought a machine, and then, maybe years later, go to part ex it for one of theirs, only to find that they owe a finance company all sorts of money!!

john..

HMRC are now bottom of the list Tony, or at least they were, when my company went bump about 8 years ago.

The liquidators get their cut first, what is left is split among the other creditors on a pro-rata basis, unless the banks have a charging order they are not entitled to any more than any other creditor.

I’ve only quidated companies, I’ve never been forced in to receivership. That was 20+ years ago. Each time I got a sizable refund from HMIT. The rules then were HMIT along with VAT first.

If you want up to date information, marry a tax inspector.

I "could" approach the liquidator, and this would be the proper thing to do AND i would most likely get the thing very cheaply, BUT i have to live next door to these people... i cannot see them being best pleased...

john..

Latest posts