Aerial coax plate question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been asked to move an aerial point from front of house to staircase wall (standard terraced house) but have never had anything to do with these before.

Can you add another coax to the single coax outlet plate behind. like spurring off of it to another or do I have to change the coax plate for a different kind?

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Cheers

You can but each joint increases loss of signal, if both are to be used then better to run seperate from booster unit.

Generally; you`ll have an issue terminating 2 coax into 1 outlet - though it is "do-able", dependant on the type of outlet used. You can also introduce losses on the existing run, if the signal isn`t that strong.

Usually better to take a new line from a booster (if available), or from the main freeview / sky box position, as you can then distribute this signal. Needs more info mate - what do they have, what is the extension for, do they need to watch sky / cable there, etc.....

KME

thanks for the replies Tim and kme. What it is is they want to move the tv from the front of the house to the wall where the stairs are. ATM the coax plate and socket are in the corner where the tv is currently. They want a new socket adding on the stairs wall which is easy enough as cu is under stairs do I'll spur off the ring mcb for that. It's just the coax I'm having probs working out best way to do. They have sky tv but I'm not sure if the coax plate is just for the aerial on the roof or for sky. Just trying to work out best/easiest way to do this. Thanks for your help.

If I can run coax from the coax plate (behind it) To the new position and leave the old coax plate on the wall it would save having to plaster and paint where it used to be plus gives them to option to move the tv back there in future.

What do you think? Cheers

Blanking plate could be an option mate - better than the losses incurred with a connection at an un-needed coax socket. If they have sky coming in at the same spot, you`ll have one (or two for sky+ / HD) Sat lines to deal with too ;)

KME

could you run a new coax from new location to the loft for the aerial and add a booster in loft, also sky will have 1 or 2 cables from dish depending on type of sky box, sky digi normal is 1 cable from dish (not an aerial) to box, and sky + and sky +hd is 2 cables from dish to box, if you move the sky box then a neww feed from the dish will have to be taken to dish or extend original cables from old loccation, warning disconnect all box power before removing the sky dish cable from box, as there is voltage in the cable and a short may brick the box, also make sure you use the F plug connectors and a f plug to f plug connector,

1 each cable of these is required for sky, http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1638

1 for each end of the cable to new loaction so four in total for 2 runs of sky coax is required http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447

hope that helps

Nice one thanks guys for the help on this one. One last question but please don't rib me for asking but what's the best way to get down behind the skirting board to add a socket without removing the skirting board. Is it drill down or hammer and boulster?

Nice one thanks guys for the help on this one. One last question but please don't rib me for asking but what's the best way to get down behind the skirting board to add a socket without removing the skirting board. Is it drill down or hammer and boulster?
i use my lifting bar, its a length of metal in a flat bar shape, may be known as a utility bar,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001GRZZG/ref=asc_df_B0001GRZZG812291?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0001GRZZG

What do you do then bash the bar into the wall behind the skirting board at an angle and lift the board to run the cable from the new socket position down behind skirting to under the boards? Cheers

(I'm rubbish at explaining what I mean so cheers for helping mate)

What do you do then bash the bar into the wall behind the skirting board at an angle and lift the board to run the cable from the new socket position down behind skirting to under the boards? Cheers (I'm rubbish at explaining what I mean so cheers for helping mate)
something like that. you can also use a long SDS bit if you need to drill through the wood at the bottom

Thanks everyone. Just had another look at the coax socket from the outside and there's twin sky cable going to it so I might leave it alone. How could I extend these and do you recon it's something I should get involved with. I'd like to have a go. Is it that difficult as if sky installers can do it then anyone should be able to? Cheers

Latest posts