All keeping up with EV charging points ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I want to do a round trip without recharging I'd need to know how long I need to be charging for to get 220 or 320miles range..
The more they talk about EV s  the more problems seem to crop up  .  

One problem I heard today ....  replacement battery  cost around   £8000  .

The other thing that stuck in my mind was from Clarkeston  on  The Millionaire prog.        Contestant said he'd buy an EV   if he won  a decent sum  ,   Clarkeston looked into the camera  and said  "    Good luck with the second hand  value on that then "!!!   

That’s the one thing that is being overlooked in my opinion. If like many you buy a new electric car and you keep that car for a number of years, you face either a huge expense to replace the batteries, a period of poor/diminishing battery holding charge or a poor resale value. So why bother with one in the first place? For me electric cars are as good as a throw away gimmick either that or you have to be able to afford to change it every three years? I sense a new PCP coming our way soon! 
so how environmentally friendly are they really? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The EV code of practice basically says that we have to assume that even TNS supplies will be PME somewhere or may be converted (or partially converted) to PME at some point in the future

So should we just bang rods in then?

That’s the one thing that is being overlooked in my opinion. If like many you buy a new electric car and you keep that car for a number of years, you face either a huge expense to replace the batteries, a period of poor/diminishing battery holding charge or a poor resale value. So why bother with one in the first place? For me electric cars are as good as a throw away gimmick either that or you have to be able to afford to change it every three years? I sense a new PCP coming our way soon! 
so how environmentally friendly are they really? 

Good question

A bit like sealed LED lights - the "bulb" goes, so the whole item goes in the bin - thats not very good for the environment

I was discussing EVcharging with a mate a while ago and I can see some sort of valet parking having to be used in area's like Blackpool in the summer. They have a massive car park that holds several thousand cars and it does get full, now I live 55 miles away so in all probability I would not be able to drive there and back on one charge, but what if there are no charging points available, people are not going to park up, put their car on charge and then walk back from the other end of the town to move their car, people are just too selfish, so it is either going to need some kind of valet parking, were they move cars once charged, or there's going to be a lot of people stuck in places like blackpool with flat batteries.

On the subject of earthing I can see that being fraught with problems too, if they are 'rodded', then what happens if the only place to install the charger is within reach of some metal part of the buildings structure, again if two points are installed, both with rods, what about sphere's of infuence between the rods, step potential etc, in my opinion the whole thing, as usual has clearly not been thought through.

I think a lot of those making the green decisions in government are probably filing their wallets from various related business interests!

And they are all blind to how 95% of the population actually live and survive on a daily basis...

with housing, work, transport and the other household budget costs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the beauty of the ICE, it allows you to be free and not tied to a specific distance or a specific timeframe. 
what with all this tracking of mobile phones and now electric vehicles with specific ranges it should be real easy for the police to capture the villains!! 

So should we just bang rods in then?

I did my EV course yesterday and the simple answer to that was no.... it's just far too difficult to get it right (they showed a calculation that ended up with the Ra having to be below 1.6 ohms)..... it's much easier to fit a EVSE with built in O-PEN protection.... or fit a simple EVSE and an O-PEN device such as a Matt-e.... ensuring that you also have the correct type of RCD

I did my EV course yesterday and the simple answer to that was no.... it's just far too difficult to get it right (they showed a calculation that ended up with the Ra having to be below 1.6 ohms)..... it's much easier to fit a EVSE with built in O-PEN protection.... or fit a simple EVSE and an O-PEN device such as a Matt-e.... ensuring that you also have the correct type of RCD
so basically forget theoretical electrics and rely on a manufactured way out! 

in which case, products without such devices should be banned from being sold in the UK

I keep reading all this stuff ...all these  new type RCDs etc  , Rods etc  . 

At the end of the day its a 30A  supply  to a box outside .     So probably a 6mm  cable .        The safety stuff should be in the box ,  and the actual charger in on board the vehicle .

I suppose the bit to cause concern is the flexible lead  to the car  with 240V  in it.              

I keep reading all this stuff ...all these  new type RCDs etc  , Rods etc  . 

At the end of the day its a 30A  supply  to a box outside .     So probably a 6mm  cable .        The safety stuff should be in the box ,  and the actual charger in on board the vehicle .

I suppose the bit to cause concern is the flexible lead  to the car  with 240V  in it.              

Yeh, thats exactly it 32A supply into a box.... plus maybe a clamp on the tails for load curtailment and a Cat5, possibly, for the smart connection - the smart connection is required for the OLEV grant and can be either hardwired internet, WiFi or by using a SIM card

The only problem is that you cannot do any of your live tests without an adaptor... 

Latest posts