Amendment 2 problem.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontLookAtMe

Reaction score
I am deeply concerned by the SPD changes in Amendment 2 and I would like to hear more views on it.

Currently, we are told that after 27th September we must fit Type 1 SPD's into homes with overhead supplies. The single dwellings exception has been removed and so we are forcing people to pay hundreds extra or we leave the home as we found it. I raised the issue of unsafe installs and the response was simple, they pay for a Type 1 SPD on top of the repair work or you leave them to it. We can't even install a £15 mains fire alarm without hundreds extra for these SPD's

Granted Type 2 SPD's are cheap enough but Type 1's are not and they need 25mm cables so they are not an easy fit in most instances.

Have I missed something and there is still an option? I fully appreciate that the manufacturers steered this to boost sales to people who could afford the SPD's but were not buying them, but to boost sales at the cost of the safety of those that cannot afford them is disgusting. What do you guys think???

Oh the joys of Regs written by those who don’t have an inkling on cost implications to the end user.
I’d like to know where people are supposed to keep finding all this extra money as cost of living goes up and requirements and expectations go up?
It’s a no wonder the government want a cashless society.

Does any other trade moan as much as the electrical trade if there was an Olympic event for moaning an electrician would be long odds on to win it, no contest.

Adapt or move on moaning will not resolve the issue.

Think that’s a bit harsh.

My gripe, as always is that the faceless and nameless people, who make these decisions, don’t do anything to educate Joe public

And I think it’s this relentless change, that means people are doing more and more off radar installs. Which isn’t progress imho

Moving on to retirement soon but as long I’m a member of a CPS, I’ll continue to voice my opinion in a direct manner. Any the very least I’ve tried to have my say and by doing this on a public forum more people will see the Debate and issues.

Think that’s a bit harsh.

My gripe, as always is that the faceless and nameless people, who make these decisions, don’t do anything to educate Joe public

And I think it’s this relentless change, that means people are doing more and more off radar installs. Which isn’t progress imho

Moving on to retirement soon but as long I’m a member of a CPS, I’ll continue to voice my opinion in a direct manner. Any the very least I’ve tried to have my say and by doing this on a public forum more people will see the Debate and issues.
I nominate you as captain of the Olympic moaning squad🤣

Adapt or move on moaning will not resolve the issue.

Does any other trade moan as much as the electrical trade if there was an Olympic event for moaning an electrician would be long odds on to win it, no contest.

I nominate you as captain of the Olympic moaning squad🤣
I don't think there is anyone who posts as much dross as you do, three posts with absolutely no useful input

I think @Murdoch has very much got a genuine gripe along with a lot of people me included with the faceless people who create these rules who are so far from the coalface they don't see the potential problems they are creating first hand

Personally if I can make someones installation even marginally safer whilst not totally complying with regs I would much rather do that than find out they became a statistic because they could not afford the SPD that was "required" but provided little or no overall safety enhancement

The AFDD is next in the firing line how can we install something that has it's own built in self test but we have no way of externally testing it or the circuit connected to it which may or may not be faulty or as Fleeting appears to advocate do we just carry on as good little electricians blindly following the regs into oblivion. I suppose if enough of these "safety" devices trip it will help the green agenda as we won't have electricity on for long enough to use it

I don't think there is anyone who posts as much dross as you do, three posts with absolutely no useful input

I think @Murdoch has very much got a genuine gripe along with a lot of people me included with the faceless people who create these rules who are so far from the coalface they don't see the potential problems they are creating first hand

Personally if I can make someones installation even marginally safer whilst not totally complying with regs I would much rather do that than find out they became a statistic because they could not afford the SPD that was "required" but provided little or no overall safety enhancement

The AFDD is next in the firing line how can we install something that has it's own built in self test but we have no way of externally testing it or the circuit connected to it which may or may not be faulty or as Fleeting appears to advocate do we just carry on as good little electricians blindly following the regs into oblivion. I suppose if enough of these "safety" devices trip it will help the green agenda as we won't have electricity on for long enough to use it
I see you have no sense of humour. But it is still fact most electricians will moan about absolutely anything. You can dislike this one now Chuckles.

I see you have no sense of humour. But it is still fact most electricians will moan about absolutely anything. You can dislike this one now Chuckles.
I have a very good sense of humour being a scouser and if what you posted was meant to be humour all I can say is you must try harder, there is no point mocking someone who has a genuine grievance about the latest amendment with it's safety implications a comment of adapt and move on or to throw it back at you do you "bow down and accept what you are being groomed for" has no humour value whatsoever

The way the industry is being pushed with the latest regs doesn't bode well for the future of the industry, how do we sell the advantages of the expensive AFDD when I think the vast majority of the industry has not got a clue what to do with an AFDD that is nuisance tripping, I think most who have been around the industry for many years and sliding towards retirement MAY have only seen 1 or 2 faults that an AFDD MAY have detected marginally earlier than the other protection devices

So @Fleeting I am sorry this post has no humour with your previous comments there are people out there who may not be able to afford the all singing and dancing updates needed to adapt their installation to the latest regs when even a simple and potentially non compliant cheaper option could afford them much more protection than they currently have and maybe prevent a fatality, I'm sure their relatives will find your posts funny then while they are mourning their loss

Last edited:
Gentlemen, no personal arguments please. May I also suggest you may wish to add smilies to your posts to indicate your feelings for said post :) (But don't over do it)

If you are not sure how to add them, send me a private message, I will show you how it is done
:geek:

I am deeply concerned by the SPD changes in Amendment 2 and I would like to hear more views on it.

Currently, we are told that after 27th September we must fit Type 1 SPD's into homes with overhead supplies. The single dwellings exception has been removed and so we are forcing people to pay hundreds extra or we leave the home as we found it. I raised the issue of unsafe installs and the response was simple, they pay for a Type 1 SPD on top of the repair work or you leave them to it. We can't even install a £15 mains fire alarm without hundreds extra for these SPD's

Granted Type 2 SPD's are cheap enough but Type 1's are not and they need 25mm cables so they are not an easy fit in most instances.

Have I missed something and there is still an option? I fully appreciate that the manufacturers steered this to boost sales to people who could afford the SPD's but were not buying them, but to boost sales at the cost of the safety of those that cannot afford them is disgusting. What do you guys think???
The one thing with SPD's what if you fit a type 2 and the installation takes a lightning strike rendering the type 2 SPD useless how do you then explain to the customer they had the wrong type of SPD fitted and it should have been a type 1 but then again if you do a risk assessment on the risk of a strike occuring all you get is a list of probables varying from days to century's that in all likelyhood will never happen

Latest posts