Amendment 3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt hunt

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Does anyone know if plastic enclosures have been banned under Amendment 3? the way I am reading it is that "no enclosures with combustible material " can be used, does this mean the end of the Contractor packs and we are going back to good old fashioned metal?

It's not out yet... not sure how your gonna get round not having plastic enclosures? I did read something about plastic cu ' s and pvc trunking having metal cable supports :( It's all rumors though.

:)

Could also sort out the unemployment problem if they make the regs retrospective, you'll all be busy for years replacing all those extremely dangerous thermoplastic enclosures :)
I've always thought this....

................I did read something about plastic cu ' s and pvc trunking having metal cable supports  :( It's all rumors though.
I suspect the rumors are true, all the recent projects we've been involved in require containment and fixings (including cable straps) in all main escape routes to be fire resilient. This is a fire regulation though, not an electrical one. It's to ensure that all cabling and pipework remains in place if there's a fire rather than falling down and wrapping itself around the evacuees like it normally did. We now install a U shaped sling under all our cable trays every meter to comply, it's cheaper than using steel or stainless steel cable straps.. 

In my mind metal consumer units are the only way to achieve this, not sure we gonna get them for £52 though:)

In my mind metal consumer units are the only way to achieve this, not sure we gonna get them for £52 though:)
Mk don't do a surface metal clad cu :( do prefer metal ones :) there was also talk of retro fitting fire proof enclosures around consumer units :| All because the fire brigade have recorded a high number of fires in plastic cu ' s nothing to do with the lowering in quality of materials in modern consumer units or the lowering in quality of the installation allthough plastic cu ' s have been round for donkeys.

spoke with a CU Manufacturer today and they reckon its on its way, most of the time though its down to dodgy installers not tightening terminals correctly, also sidewinder apparently LSF and also non flammable plastic not gonna hit the mark, (BRING BACK METAL), may also ask the question on the solar forum as the 'Garage boards' will also have to be metal and as such will be more expensive if it goes ahead.

Hi Canoe, maybe ask Havells if they have any concerns and their opinion on the CUs, I think all the manufacturers are concerned

spoke with a CU Manufacturer today and they reckon its on its way, most of the time though its down to dodgy installers not tightening terminals correctly, also sidewinder apparently LSF and also non flammable plastic not gonna hit the mark, (BRING BACK METAL), may also ask the question on the solar forum as the 'Garage boards' will also have to be metal and as such will be more expensive if it goes ahead.
Rubbish, polymers can be made non- flammable, they just need to put the money into research.

All Manufacturers will have and they are all very nervous I think, I bet you 5p there will be no plastic (fire retardant or not) being sold from 2016!

sorry sidewinder but I think your off with the fairies!

Why would they spend the money on R&D for polymers and the increased cost or the material, its easier to just go metal, and better I think anyway

£100 gees canoe, your PV Installs must be going well :)

I had a look at the 88 page catalogue of from havels and it seems they are already on the case :)

But...

When will the others catch up? Lap, BG or anything else from the pinney shop? There must be warehouses full of the stuff and ships stacked high on their way.

It's not all going to be gone by next year :|

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry sidewinder but I think your off with the fairies!

Why would they spend the money on R&D for polymers and the increased cost or the material, its easier to just go metal, and better I think anyway

£100 gees canoe, your PV Installs must be going well :)
matt,

It is you that is off with the fairies.

I have worked in the polymer industry and part of my degree was polymer based.

It is EASY to make totally non-combustible polymers, but it is more expensive to do this than use flammable polymers, so it is a market driven thing.

IF you are going to pick on members and suggest that they are incompetent then please choose carefully, else you will find yourself in a very delicate situation.

I do Canoe, and my opinion is that all domestic consumer units will be metal within 2 years if this amendment is passed (which I believe the consultation period is over) ask your local NICEIC Inspector on his view

Latest posts