Armoured cable connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducting for armoured cable? DNO don't even duct their cable unless under traffic area. Trenched for 3 phase and service cable a few years back. Only one small bit of duct where it went under field that would be ploughed? Yes, enclosing cabinet to make space for a distribution board was what I had thought originally. Maybe then cable to shed, cable to house and then cable from house cu to borehole.
Yes I have and would again put duct in for armoured cable.

DNO have their own rules and BS7671 does not apply to them.

I would run 3 cables from the enclosure adjacent to the metering point, 3 separate supplies, no issues with inconvenience in the event of a fault.

Ducting for armoured cable?

Your electrician (Who you haven't employed yet) will give you the cable sizes.

If you want to do work before employing an electrician then you need to put ducting in, for the cables.

Ground type Depth to top of cable / duct
Unmade, cultivated, or footpath450mm
Driveway or road600mm
Agricultural1000mm

That is not specified in BS 7671, there it requires an adequate depth with 600mm advised in  certain places as the minimum advisable.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you duct the cable runs, then you have easy option for enhacing cable sizes in future. It's not essential to duct, but it is recommended.

1 thing I have seen with bore pumps is pits that fill with water, make sure you use proper submersible joint boxes to terminate the swa and connect bore pump cabling to. 

If the meter cabinet hasn’t been built yet make room for a distribution board that can split the three feeders.

I would be wanting some form of cable from the house to the well pump for monitoring. More than once I’ve been called to farms where the borehole pump has failed, the first anyone knew about it was no water coming out of the tap.

This is very similar to my new build house.

The DNO can get a bit uppity sometimes if you put too much in "their" meter box.  So I put two meter boxes side by side. The left hand one is theirs for their meter, and the right hand one has a consumer unit for a few local loads, and a switch fuse to feed out to the house.

Is this a new build house? I assume it is with borehole etc.  Are you self building?

Well they do around here on all new services AND ALL Ducting is RED

just clarifying
It's a requirement in the south of Ireland that all ducting be red, including that installed by the electrical contractor for the consumer. In fact it's a breach of the Wiring Rules for it to be any other colour.

That said, 50m of 2" red duct costs about €100.

This has come up before, some DNO's do use red duct for LV as well.  I thought it very odd when I first heard about it.  As we know the DNO's play by their own rules, so if they say red for LV, then red it is.

P.S on a job I was on a couple of years ago a new build house, it involved undergrounding a section of 11KV line, and SSE used BLACK duct for that.  Go figure.

Western Power  specify  BLACK  and go further to say  no other colour is acceptable .

We had it with a couple of new builds ,  they specified BLACK duct from  near the meter cupboard to the  property boundary. 

They also specified a depth . 

The only time I’ve used any form of ducting was steel pipe under roads and railway lines. Normally it would be direct buried with a good sand bed in the trench, working in a quarry sand was plentiful.

For a one mile cable run I calculated 150 tons of sand were needed, it actually totalled 220 ton over the weighbridge. At least nobody had to pay the bill, I just signed the internal requisition.

Latest posts