Assembling Swa Glands

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CK Tools

www.ck-tools.com
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just doing a bit of research and I wonder if I can get a guide on how you assemble the brass glands

More specifically - the gland comes in two parts, do you generally assemble the small part (with the thin nut) onto the enclosure before you put the  cable through or do you make up the full gland assembly onto the cable before offering it up to the enclosure?

Many thanks

Charles

Personally I always fix the fixed part to the enclosure on it's own without the cable.

Then make off the end and feed the cable into the gland.

No 1 tip, slide the boot and cable clamp nut and cone over the cable BEFORE you strip and make off the SWA.

Depends on the job, access, situation etc.

Generally on big cables (25/35mm sq 3/4/5C  & above) normally gland on cable then in.

On small generally the opposite.

+1 to what steve above said

If into a flat panel or box then it is usually assembled then fitted

If into a threaded hole then you cannot rotate the gland to screw it in UNLESS it is the first cable into a T , through , H or 4 way box. Y is possible...all the other entries then need to be built up from the "threaded portion" backwards

Just done farsands of em

As above and as a general rule : If enclosure is fixed in it's location screw 1st part of gland into that and make gland back from that, if not make up gland on cable first.

As I say only a general rule and various other factors can come into it, ie. weather, mood, drinking tea etc. 

The answer , Charles , is both methods are used .

Larger cables , as Sidey says,  are often glanded up first , then offered into place , feed cores through hole and then just the locknut to fit and tightened up with a hammer & chisel   :eek:  

Reason for that is the locknuts today so thin , its difficult to keep a pair of grips on them   ( Even  CK Grips !!!)  

I wired up 3 x WP sockets the other week and used both methods...

2 of the sockets had already been fitted and just needed wiring,,, I fitted the gland to the socket first... The other had the cables poking up so I fitted the glands to the cables and then the socket to the glands and then the socket to the wall

Horses for courses I'm afraid,,, just using whichever method suits best at the time.

OH ,,,, and I used 'P' nuts

I usually fit the gland to the box first as then i merely have to hold the locknut while i do the gland up. That is bad enough, i would hate to actually have to try to tighten one of them poxy locknuts. What is wanted is like a brake nut spanner, but with thin walls and much deeper to do the things up with....

Do I get a prize????

john...

I usually fit the gland to the box first as then i merely have to hold the locknut while i do the gland up. That is bad enough, i would hate to actually have to try to tighten one of them poxy locknuts. What is wanted is like a brake nut spanner, but with thin walls and much deeper to do the things up with....

Do I get a prize????

john...
Not really, next time I am in Newport, I'll let you know & you can see my locknut & lock ring tools! ;) ...

Yes Kieron, there are, no end of You Tube videos telling you how to do all sorts, however, they are not moderated, anyone could if they wanted deliberately post a video showing how to do something wrong, and it would only be the comments that would give you an indication, and the comments are not moderated either.

Please beware of You Tube videos on how to do things, unless, you already have a good grasp of what is needed.

Ow I see I just know I was doing mi at swa at college and it was very helpfully watching them beforehand as it gave a good idea although I was also show at college at a later date

Anyone else do the nifty trick of putting the shroud the wrong way on the end of the cable to tell you how much to cut off?