SWA Cable Gland - Can they be installed horizontally ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to install a Wiska 308 adaptable box to wire up some SWA cable to an outside device. The box need to go on a small wooden retaining wall and there is not really room to install the SWA from below so that the cable enters the box vertically. Is it OK to install SWA gland Horizontally in this situation?

Is this covered by any regulation?

TIA

Most of us proper using the lower entries as it’a a good way of preventing water ingress. You can use any direction tbh BUT the key is using the correct parts to ensure continuity of the cpc and outer strands of the swa

It is fine they are threaded entries so it should seal. Use outdoor glands and the Wiska earth plates to maintain continuity of the armour.

Most of us proper using the lower entries as it’a a good way of preventing water ingress. You can use any direction tbh BUT the key is using the correct parts to ensure continuity of the cpc and outer strands of the swa
Thanks I just wasn't sure because I have not seen them horizontal before, I would do them vertically if I had enough space but this one is tight.

Thanks I just wasn't sure because I have not seen them horizontal before, I would do them vertically if I had enough space but this one is tight.
Not a problem provided they are outdoor rated glands. NB, Wiska box, drill a very small hole in the very bottom of it to allow drainage should you get a slight leak . If you look at the box it has a blanked off drain hole moulded into it.

Seen a few with small ponds inside, especially on conduit runs.
Back in the day I saw a BFO Ex Rated Pyro joint box in an access pit adjacent to a filling station forecourt ( they had moved the 'on island' kiosk and joined out every cable ) It was underwater and boiling like a kettle , every Pyro end had blown off.
Whoops

Back in the day I saw a BFO Ex Rated Pyro joint box in an access pit adjacent to a filling station forecourt ( they had moved the 'on island' kiosk and joined out every cable ) It was underwater and boiling like a kettle , every Pyro end had blown off.
Whoops
Nasty!

Did you put some teabags in?