Bending Conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Funny enough i did make a hydraulic bender many years ago!! Not got it now, but someone came me one like in the picture a while back. They are ok ish, but you will not be making 90 degree bends with one, apart from in the smallest size, 1/2 NB as the formers do not permit that.

My Record bender has got the formers for 15, 16, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32 and 42mm It will do 180 degree bends if you want too!! plus bend up or down.. Eh?? Say you wanted to do a 90 degree bend to give a straight bit a foot long, then another one. [bend] You could not as the first bit would hit the bender legs. Ok reverse it and bend it upwards!!!

I will post a photo of my first project with it. I have a generator here, but the steel "cube" frame it is in has seen better days. I am going to bend one up [a new one] from one single full length of tube so it only has one weld in the centre of one side!

john..
I've never seen a bender that wont bend up or down,  :C

I nearly always bend upwards anyway,

its that RR thing, I think,  :eek:

I must read the whole sentence before speaking

lol - 100x is far too much. Sorry guys.

In all fairness I did not actually mention "scaffold pole"

Always read the full sentence first

On one of the courses I used to teach there was a final written exam....on page one...in BOLD letters it stated

READ ALL THE QUESTIONS FIRST BEFORE ANSWERING

And we also repeated this to them verbally

simple enough?

In place of question 12 there was the following....

DO NOT ANSWER THE FIRST 11 QUESTIONS....This is to show that you have FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS on page 1

It was not there as a trick...it was there to show that you were observant, listening and following instructions.

If you did not then the consequences could be quite serious

Just saying

lol - 100x is far too much. Sorry guys.
Tape 2 or 3 pens together like I used to!  :lol:

Yep did the taping pens together so the teachers at our place then moved punishments onto other methods such as 1000 word essay's and the like. English teacher was a cow lol - her essay topics were just pure evil - 1000 words on the inside of a ping pong ball and stuff like that....Mind you I was a "good boy" and only got into trouble rarely haha. Another favourite at our school for punishments was to write out X amount of pages from the dictionary - words, meanings ect ect.

Yep did the taping pens together so the teachers at our place then moved punishments onto other methods such as 1000 word essay's and the like. English teacher was a cow lol - her essay topics were just pure evil - 1000 words on the inside of a ping pong ball and stuff like that....Mind you I was a "good boy" and only got into trouble rarely haha. Another favourite at our school for punishments was to write out X amount of pages from the dictionary - words, meanings ect ect.
 As my father frequently reminds me, all he ever did was "pick me up from detention".  :lol: Just glad my own boy has done so well with his GCSEs. 

Between finishing my GCEs and leaving at 16 were were allowed to choose our own sports outside the school be it swimming, squash, weight training. It meant leaving the school premises and walking across town to various leisure centres. The PE masters were supposed to rove from one location to another to keep an eye on everyone.

Me and a mate used to go straight to the pub. I knew the school had given up on me when I looked across the bar one day and saw a couple of the PE masters supping their pints. A case I guess of I won't tell if you won't! 

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was an apprentice 30 years ago one of my first jobs was to bend 32 mm galvanised conduit round concrete beams in an underground carpark. The bender lay flat on a table and had a huge screw which look a bit like a corkscrew,it took two of us to turn this and gradually it would form a 90 or an offset depending which the journeyman needed,we did not learn much about bending conduit but we grew to hate the designers who came up with these ideas.I passed the carpark the other day and yes the conduit is still there with BT multicores running thru them ,thank God for plastic,

jD

Latest posts