Big Yellow Book - Group Buy - Gauging Interest

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, I only do offshore work now and most of that is on machines rather than electrical installation so probably a waste of time for me, and, if required the company generally pay for it. So unless I could get a proper VAT receipt it would possibly be a non starter, sorry :(
A proper VAT receipt would not be an issue, even though the vat would only be on the carriage.

At present there are reputable online book sellers offering IET (not EiT) BS7671 Amendment 3 book for far less delivered, and is currently in stock, I have ordered and received my copy from them.    

Comments from members about sticking with 14th edition so as they don't have to spend £85 every two years (even though you claim you are employed so the cost would surely be met by your employer?) on new books is great, a lot of my work comes from putting right the work you dinosaurs carry out, keep on installing to the 14th Edition, rectifying your work pays for my holidays and new vans.
Well post the links then.

You won't be rectifying any of my work I can assure you, I might end up rectifying some of yours, or facing you as a prosecution witness though if you get it wrong.

Be careful what sweeping statements you make.

After have a prod email I guess I'll answer. As much as I should really have a BYB and relevant literature I simply cannot justify the cost so I'll just survive off others cast off's and get an onsite guide at some point.

I still haven't bought my DC amp clamp off MeggarMark yet as I had to spend that bit of money on something else. lol. Bet he thinks I'm a right tw@

Good idea though, bulk ordering, etc. Nice move!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a green book in good condition you can trade it in on amazon for £21.86. I'm going to do that and put it towards the cost of the yellow one.

In reply to the responses to my post regarding the "Big Yellow Book"

The last time the IEE / IET Wiring Regulation were issued in a yellow cover was as Amendment 2 of the 16th Edition issued in 1997.

And for the benefit of "The Snake"

The links to the site were not included in my post as I respect that the Forum is trying to maybe help those who do not have full access to the internet, to save a little money by their bulk purchasing.

It was not you that posted about still using the 14th Edition as a reference which I do also s understand to be a tounge in cheek comment.

These were not "sweeping statements" they were personal comments made based on what I find and have to rectify day to day as a fully qualified, professional working electrician - why when they were directed to the person making the "statement" and not you, did they touch such a nerve with you that you felt the need to reply in such a way?

The last time the IEE / IET Wiring Regulation were issued in a yellow cover was as Amendment 2 of the 16th Edition issued in 1997.

The links to the site were not included in my post as I respect that the Forum is trying to maybe help those who do not have full access to the internet, to save a little money by their bulk purchasing.

It was not you that posted about still using the 14th Edition as a reference which I do also s understand to be a tounge in cheek comment.

These were not "sweeping statements" they were personal comments made based on what I find and have to rectify day to day as a fully qualified, professional working electrician - why when they were directed to the person making the "statement" and not you, did they touch such a nerve with you that you felt the need to reply in such a way?
The forum is trying to save members money as a primary reason.

You made sweeping statements, that is the way I read them, and that is what I DO NOT LIKE.

For your very first post on the forum, you were very rude.

That is something else I do not like.

That is why it as you claim "touched a nerve", your being rude and making sweeping statements and accusing people of shoddy workmanship on your very first post is not going to ingratiate yourself to me, end of. that is the reason for my reply.

If you would like to apologise to the members then that's fine & I will apologise to you, if, I have misunderstood your intentions, however, my replies indicate how I see them from here.

Are you suggesting we wait a while until the bootleg versions come up on ebay for £5 on a DVD?

We all agree the regs cost a lot compared to other books (but cheap compared to some other BS specifications). All the forum is trying to do is by bulk buying,  get copies to forum members a bit below retail price.

If that doesn't interest you and you have "other" sources then fair enough, but no need to belittle the idea.

At present there are reputable online book sellers offering IET (not EiT) BS7671 Amendment 3 book for far less delivered, and is currently in stock, I have ordered and received my copy from them.    
Well at least post a link to these cheaper sources?

My comments are how I see things from here, and I reiterate they are not sweeping statements but are based on what i find during the course of my days work.

I have no apology of any kind to make to either yourself or any other member of the forum. 

Twatt -  read what I posted - at no point did I suggest either buying a bootleg copy or belittle the idea of the Forum bulk buying , the copy I obtained is an official copy and cost £62.50 delivered - search the internet and you too will be able to purchase a copy at this price.

My comments are how I see things from here, and I reiterate they are not sweeping statements but are based on what i find during the course of my days work.

I have no apology of any kind to make to either yourself or any other member of the forum. 

Twatt -  read what I posted - at no point did I suggest either buying a bootleg copy or belittle the idea of the Forum bulk buying , the copy I obtained is an official copy and cost £62.50 delivered - search the internet and you too will be able to purchase a copy at this price.
there is only one twat in this thread, and it isnt Dave

I bet that you won't get another copy for £62.50 unless you are an IET member.

Remember, all the prices have skyrocketed now that the book has been published, the reduced cost was to ensure that the sellers could get their bulk discounts from the IET.

I can get a paper copy for £55.25 delivered.

However, my paper copy will be infinitely cheaper, and in fact, I doubt that anyone, anywhere will get it cheaper, legitimately.

We stock the BYB and will be getting the other books in soon, sitting here at home I am unsure of the cost but if there is interest i will see if i can get together a price that will save money for the membership.

We buy plenty anyway so qty wouldn't be an issue, perhaps i shall just post a price and leave it to you guys to decide.

Yep

I'd also look at getting BYB, osg and gn3 as a bundle 

I have just read this thread again and wish i had done better prior to my last post, in view of having done so i want to make the following comments.....

1. We have a number of the green book lest in stock (about 9/10) and any member who calls me at work on 01603 406148 can have one with my blessing (free), to claim the discount

being offered on a new version, as pointed in a post on this thread.

2. We will offer the yellow book to any member wishing one at cost plus 5% and £2.50 carriage, we will of course issue an invoice. We have a few in stock now but we will order

more as necessary. I will post a price tomorrow.

3. Give me a call about the DC Clamp (you know who you are), let me help.

4. Generally we get by don't we Lady (maybe more than one) and gents? then someone crops up who just seems to want to offend. Always seems to happen on there first visit for

some strange reason, it is an open Forum so we have to accept this occurring, however we don't have to rise to it. To have made the comment in the first place shows a self

belief that is likely hard to sway so there is little point biting.

I still cannot fathom a logical reason as to why anyone with even a modicum of sense would drop these ludicrous amounts of money on a complete new book to see a few chages on a couple of pages.

When the BSI release loose leaf versions and updates in the same format I will buy said editions.

Latest posts