Bonding to gas and water block of flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,Now, i am not getting involved in arguments with people with a LOT more knowledge than I. So, i will merely confine myself to making an observation [or two!!]

First off, every installation has only ONE origin, secondly, every installation has only ONE MET..

Where you have an installation split into several "components" shall we say, [you know what i mean!!] fed by a series of submains, this does not change things, you still have the one MET, you still have the one earthing conductor. Everything after the MET is a CPC.

All the other "MET's" are in fact "BEMT's"

Now look at this from the point of view of the DNO.... You go to a particular flat, and measure Zs or Zdb if you like and say it is 1.2 ohms.

It is no good then, phoning the DNO and saying the Ze for my flat is too high.

They will come along, test Ze at the origin [their cutout] pronounce it ok, and tell you that the rest of the wiring belongs to you [not them] and so it is part of YOUR installation not theirs. They will just say their Ze is ok, and suggest to you that if Zs in your flat is too high, that you get yourself a lower impedance submain, or TT the lot....

john
agree with a fair bit of that but I cant see the BEMT bit I thought a building had a MET or a BEMT you seem to be suggesting a building having numerous BEMTs? the wording doesnt quite fit? or is it just me?

I'll writethe definition out again then, shall I - for those who are having trouble reading English:Nothing to do with supply.

Nothing to do with 'shared earthing systems'

Nothing to do with DNOs.

Nothing to do with OCPDs.

If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.
having co-ordinated characteristics
and that would mean what exactly if it doesnt include the above?

what exactly would you define as being co-ordinated characteristics?

and that would mean what exactly if it doesnt include the above?what exactly would you define as being co-ordinated characteristics?
It could include the above - it doesn't have to.

The 'flat', in the scenario, is an assembly of electrical equipment having co-ordinated characteristics to fulfil a specific purpose...........so that makes it an 'installation', if that's what you require.

I'm fed up of arguing with you..........your doing it for the sake of it!

As for this comment:-

until you can fully understand grown up concepts regarding electrical installations to BS7671, I suggest you go back to merchandise replenisher status.
The minute I make any comment with this kind of tone/attitude, I get an infraction and hounded by the Mods.........you seem to get away with it again.

Nice to see the 'clique' is still in operation.

It could include the above - it doesn't have to.The 'flat', in the scenario, is an assembly of electrical equipment having co-ordinated characteristics to fulfil a specific purpose...........so that makes it an 'installation', if that's what you require.

I'm fed up of arguing with you..........your doing it for the sake of it!

As for this comment:-

The minute I make any comment with this kind of tone/attitude, I get an infraction and hounded by the Mods.........you seem to get away with it again.

Nice to see the 'clique' is still in operation.
but you still fail to realise that they are co-ordinated with all the other flats in the same block, from the same supply, in the same installation,

I only wish I could take part in this debate. What a load of self indulgence and misconception.

As much as I agree with how ADS is interpreting the regs, I think the regs implies in 132.16 that an existing installation starts at the distributors equipment.

BUT it's all up for interpretation...

However... If an installation starts at the Distributors equipment, then Gas and Water bonding should only need to be taken from that point?! Not at each flat?!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:26 ----------

Electrical Installation is defined in the building regs as fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electrical supply meter.

GN8 suggests incoming services should be bonded at point of entry to the physical building and at point of entry to each individual flat.