Bought all parts for my installation and now only facing problems...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michal

Reaction score
I was thinking that will save some £, so I have bought 12 panels, inverter, i have managed to get roof kit for all and now facing one big problem.

Firstly I have been dealing with one company who produce me nice quote but failed and after 3 months give my all money back. ( no issue with them as I have just postpone whole project so i just been waiting for all my parts) 12 panels x 385W, inverter Growat 4200... and I want to be tide to grid.

in meantime I have send few emails to Octopus to see what they needs from my side.

that is what I need:

1) MPAN number - Now I know is number from electricity meter

2) FIT certificate

3) DNO - need to inform my provider , Corby is located in East Midlands so I can google it.

.... when it comes to FIT cert - I don't understand why Octopus is asking for that if there is no more FIT cert
When I called today one local MCS installer he said - we cant install it as it not been designed by them ;/
Do I need that MCS?

What should I do?? Will all MCS guys will turn me down?

Im fairly sure the MCS guys wont help, you've tried to take work away from them, I think it highly likely too the people on here will be the same. You will need to inform your DNO which generally is a formality below 3600w but I'm sure you wont be allowed to export and probably you'll have broken some other regulations that experts on here my enlighten you about.

Depends what you are wanting from Octopus. If you are wanting to claim the Smart Export Guarantee then it is treated simialrly to FiT and therefore I believe they need to see an MCS cert. If yu aren't bothered about anything off them, then it has nothing to do with them anyway.
You still need to notify the DNO though.
And yes, you will struggle to get a MCS company to install for you. There required paperwork trail requires them to have designed the install and procured the equipment.
There will be someone somewhere that will do it, but most PV installers are busy at the moment anyway so they can pick and choose what they do.

4. Part P certificate

5. EIC

6. Competent spark to do this work and maybe a new fuseboard too .............?

Have you considered these aspects too?

It's much easier for a company to supply the gear, that way they get stuff they are familiar with fitting, and have spares for. I doubt it would have saved you much money anyway, as wholesale prices to trade are generally better than what you can get in the public domain.

It's also fair to say it's the sort of thing no trades like in any sector of building work. Not because they want a markup on prices, but because customers have a habit of buying cheap and nasty products that are difficult to fit or work with. In the case of MCS registered installers, as Barx said above, there's also a legal requirement on traceability of materials used.

Thank you guys, learned on expansive mistake i have google it that my DNO will accept 16A only.
I have phoned few MCS companies and answer was NO.

Will keep searching for someone who will help.

BTW,
Octopus is asking for SMET2 meter can anyone advice on that? please

Thank you guys, learned on expansive mistake i have google it that my DNO will accept 16A only.

BTW,
The meter is a category of Smart Meter, if you don’t have one your electricity supplier should install one at your request.

The meter is a category of Smart Meter, if you don’t have one your electricity supplier should install one at your request.
That is the point, I have that kind of meter but I was thinking that I need extra one for my PV installation.
As no more FIT after 2019 and SEG in that place I'm still not sure do I need extra one or existing one will work for me ;/

ehh whole idea of this project was to produce electricity to cover daily requirements...

BTW,
they may take a higher output than 16A, they can't stop anyone connecting a 16A system. You need a G100 application to the DNO prior to installing the equipment if it can output more than 16A, they may offer say 20A, but you can also fit export limited systems that prevent more than 16A going back to the grid.

Given current demand for solar, you would have no trouble selling the kit to sombody else if push comes to shove.

Easier option would be. Sell 2 of the panels and the inverter
Buy a 3.6kw smart inverter and fit the 10 panels.
This way your under the 3.6kw max allowable before getting prior permission. And all you do is install then inform the DNO.
You won't get any repayment for excess electricity going to the grid but tbh it's very little and your far better using it than selling it.
Regards octopus you are trying to join the MCS/fit payment side. If you do the above you want the cheapest tariff not the octopus one as the daytime usage is 35p. EDF for example
is 28p. If you decide to have battery's the the octopus one is better

What size roof would a ten panel 3.6 kw supply need?

Last edited:
I'm not a expert but just DIY person... and based on my calculations 6/6 will take 358cm+ gap / 630cm + 5*gap ( my panels are 105cm / 179cm - 385W)

This way your under the 3.6kw max allowable before getting prior permission. And all you do is install then inform the DNO.
You won't get any repayment for excess electricity going to the grid but tbh it's very little and your far better using it than selling it.
Regards octopus you are trying to join the MCS/fit payment side. If you do the above you want the cheapest tariff not the octopus one as the daytime usage is 35p. EDF for example
Can I put 12 panels + some inverter with limitation and then apply to DNO for those two extra panels so after "possible" approval i can turn on full?
I have just checked my bill and is 28/29p ( last time it didn't let me to change provider ;/ )
What do u think about that 12 panels limited to 10?

size of the array is irrelevent, so no need to flog panels off, it's the inverter they care about, but it's easy enough to put in an application (G99 fast track) for larger inverter with export limit, if needed. 4.2kW max output is only 19 Amps, so not massively over the automatically allowed 16A. In my experience they are unlikely to say no, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to flog the inverter off. Even if the inverter is changed to 3.6 Growatt, it can take upto 6.6kW of panels. Or just be slightly naughty and say it's 3.6kW model - I didn't tell you that 😁.

size of the array is irrelevent, so no need to flog panels off, it's the inverter they care about, but it's easy enough to put in an application (G99 fast track) for larger inverter with export limit, if needed. 4.2kW max output is only 19 Amps, so not massively over the automatically allowed 16A. In my experience they are unlikely to say no, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to flog the inverter off. Even if the inverter is changed to 3.6 Growatt, it can take upto 6.6kW of panels. Or just be slightly naughty and say it's 3.6kW model - I didn't tell you that 😁.
I guess it depends how easy he wants to make the install and go by the book for no comebacks 😁.
To me it sounds as though he's got himself in a bit of a pickle
As the advice you gave me a few month back,. The 3.6kw setup was a doddle to install and as of yet fault free. Though I would say. After running the setup for a few month it gets addictive and you always want that bit more.

Can I put 12 panels + some inverter with limitation and then apply to DNO for those two extra panels so after "possible" approval i can turn on full?
I have just checked my bill and is 28/29p ( last time it didn't let me to change provider ;/ )
What do u think about that 12 panels limited to

As Binky said your panel size is not important, Ish.
If your inverter sends more than 3.6kw back to the grid you need to apply for g99 or g100 before installing. If you have a 3.6kw inverter. Regardless of panel size you instal first then submit a g98 form to the DNO.

To make a DIY install simple a 3.6kw inverter with matched panels is the easiest way.

What if I have 4.2 growatt and manual state that I can adjust it down in % to work as 3.6 will that be ok?

How would anyone know that your Inverter is at any setting other than 3.6?

that's export limitation, and they will accept that, but you must put the application in prior to installing - that's the rules!
Will that works? :

Install all 12 panels, get MCS to design including my Inverter 4.2 KW and let him apply for G100 --- then wait for reply from DNO

Latest posts