BURGLAR ALARM SYSTEM

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrocuted

Reaction score
good afternoon,

I've been asked to supply only a burglar alarm system for a house abroad. The house is a six bedroom with 12 doors and windows.

any recommendations appreciated.

cheers.

check local requirements would be a good start. also, if it needs to be monitored, then i doubt you can do anything (since your asking, i very much doubt your registered with SSAIB etc)

texecom alarms are good. for that amount of doors (/zones), best getting a panel that has more than the 8 standard zones (i.e texecom premier), unless you want more than 1 door per zone.

Also check on how long it can sound for before the sounder has to stop.

20 minutes for UK

20 minutes for UK
15 actually, has been for quite some time.

As for recomendations on systems, Texecom kit is the only semi decent option, easily available to sparks and if you go for the Premier expandable to enough zones rather than doubling everything up, which is not advised regardless of whether or not it is in the regs, which it is.

Is the voltage 230 volt in North Africa?
even if it was 110v, texecom stuff is available in 110v (the boxes have a tick box option for 110v)

failing that, you could swap the transformer for a 110v with the same output spec

Hi,

Don't know the texecom kit, but I like www.jablotron.com wireless kit, simple to configure and setup. Signal is normally ok too 30 meters works at about 430mhz, I have installed in the middle east with large properties, you can also use it hybrid with wired sensors; for instance a wireless door sensor can control wired door sensors for cheap extension to low risk doors or you can have normal wired loops. It also can have a dialler to send voice messages and the normal monitoring signals.

Cheers

Ian

Honeywell Galaxy G2's are nice systems. They are available in 12 zone expandable to 20 zone and 44 zone if i remember right. A little dearer than a Texecom system but they are very good systems.

Hi,

I would tend to go with Andy on this one. Galaxy is a high spec pro unit and as such is excellent..in the UK. If it's going to North Africa it may be better to set your sites on the Texecom. There are a lot of rooms, doors and windows, do you think it might be possible for him to give you a rough layout drawing to get an idea of the zones. It is not essential to contact every door, depending on the layout of course. There again we have to think about the location and intrusion probability. If the user is away from the premises quite often he may have to consider perimeter protection as well as internal. How close are the neighbours and are they reliable, i.e. can he count on them if the alarm activates when he's away from the premises. Is he able to install on a semi pro level ? if so, it might be worth packaging up some spare door contacts and pir's etc. Also sufficient cable, so a diagram is needed really. Having said all that, I may not have read the original post and comments correctly so please ignore if I've read it wrong. The standby battery is a major cause of problems IF it is allowed to deteriorate, it should be replaced every three or four years so he needs to be able to locate one in North Africa. That said, he might even be able to find spares. This sounds quite extensive, so I would tend to look at voltage drop on long runs. Had to do pretty much the same for a bod on Spain and another in Kenya. In Spain's case, it was wireless at his choosing, which resulted in a few problems, so I would tend to go for hard wired.

Take Care

Pantyvest

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I would tend to go with Andy on this one. Galaxy is a high spec pro unit and as such is excellent..in the UK. If it's going to North Africa it may be better to set your sites on the Texecom. There are a lot of rooms, doors and windows, do you think it might be possible for him to give you a rough layout drawing to get an idea of the zones. It is not essential to contact every door, depending on the layout of course. There again we have to think about the location and intrusion probability. If the user is away from the premises quite often he may have to consider perimeter protection as well as internal. How close are the neighbours and are they reliable, i.e. can he count on them if the alarm activates when he's away from the premises. Is he able to install on a semi pro level ? if so, it might be worth packaging up some spare door contacts and pir's etc. Also sufficient cable, so a diagram is needed really. Having said all that, I may not have read the original post and comments correctly so please ignore if I've read it wrong. The standby battery is a major cause of problems IF it is allowed to deteriorate, it should be replaced every three or four years so he needs to be able to locate one in North Africa. That said, he might even be able to find spares. This sounds quite extensive, so I would tend to look at voltage drop on long runs. Had to do pretty much the same for a bod on Spain and another in Kenya. In Spain's case, it was wireless at his choosing, which resulted in a few problems, so I would tend to go for hard wired.

Take Care

Pantyvest

Last edited by a moderator:
menvier and castle systems are good,im not sure they're the cheapest though.

menvier and castle systems are good,im not sure they're the cheapest though.

Latest posts