New house alarm?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
So I have wired for a house alarm but which one to buy?

Any recommendations?

I had thought about a wireless system but changing batteries wasn’t something I was keen on.
So pre wired during build programme for a wired system, have installed the accenta and Texecom before, thought they were simple to install and program but were the base models.

Over to you!!

Ask 10 people which make / brand of alarm they prefer to install, you will get 10 different answers.

I would suggest you stick with what you feel comfortable with.

A lot will depend on what functions you want or need within the alarm system I always opt for the full text display as it makes it easier to identify problems over the phone and often avoid an unneccessary trip to site when it's just down to customer error. For small systems these days I use the Texecom Veritas Excel and for the larger or systems that need enhanced functions then it is the Texecom Premier Elite and both can be wired EOL rather than double pole. And when the do do hits the fan I can't fault Texecom's tech support and the online training they put out is very informative

My go to 20+ years ago was Menvier but they seemed to lose their way when they were bought up along with Scantronic to become Cooper Security

I took Sharpend's comment to refer to the device batteries, since he said
I had thought about a wireless system but changing batteries wasn’t something I was keen on
Average life of them is 24 months, 30 months is pushing it.

batteries last a good few years, 3-4 usually for most
5 years is the norm for the panel battery (Yuasa brand)

For what it's worth, I wouldn't install a "radio" alarm unless I really really had to.
The cost of the standard (decent brand) CR123A Battery is around £3 One thing is for sure, the cost is NOT coming down, I know of some systems that have 30+ batteries. OK that is rare, average being 8-15, but the other thing is the customer will always put something in the way of where you need to be to change the device battery. I am NOT a removal man, and moving stuff takes time, time is money, and you can't charge extra to move furniture.
Yes you do save time on initial installation, but that's it. You can keep your radio alarms.

I took Sharpend's comment to refer to the device batteries, since he said

Average life of them is 24 months, 30 months is pushing it.
so did i, and that's from real world experience fitting & maintaining them. those in my own house / unit etc don't get their batteries changed until the panel asks for it, that way i know how long they do last. some customers don't want to pay yearly for maintenance, usually 3-4 years before they call saying the alarm needs batteries. some systems & installations will be different. still best to go wired unless its not practical

and wasn't there a replay form kerching here that's disappeared?

I've always fitted texecom in my flips and they seem reliable.
I have a wireless Yale in my own property. Simply because I didn't want to run cables
It's been installed about 3 year. Not changed any battery's yet..
I like the fact I can add camera door bells, smoke alarms ect by simply pairing them..

that’s what appealed to me on the wireless the ability to easily add extend its use.
The Yale one does a pir sensor with a built in camera.
I guess the negative side is when the bell box battery needs replacing. Ladders out or as my Mrs said. Slip the window cleaner (ooow matron) twenty quid to swap them for you

So I have wired for a house alarm but which one to buy?

Any recommendations?

I had thought about a wireless system but changing batteries wasn’t something I was keen on.
So pre wired during build programme for a wired system, have installed the accenta and Texecom before, thought they were simple to install and program but were the base models.

Over to you!!
Texecom, nothing else to say.

Superlec direct. Always been reliable and a very competitive price. Plus you get the option to make up your own kit.