Cat 6 cable no signal

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you tried connecting something else instead of the camera?
Yes as I mentioned first , I connected my laptop , but the Laptop just kept searching for a connection ( orange light ) it goes green when it has a connection to the router .

I have ordered a Tester now so will see what that comes up with , will come back on here in a couple of days to say what has happened .

cheers

Spike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I understood cat 6 was good for 100m , so I am well withing that range ,Pro Dave may have something there about the Router configuring itself for that length of cable .

Maybe I should just leave it connected overnight and see what it is like in the morning , I am nearly 100% ( nearly ) sure the cable and connectors are ok .

How about directly connected to the laptop? Bypassing the router, just make sure the IP address of your laptop is in the same range as the camera. 

How about directly connected to the laptop? Bypassing the router, just make sure the IP address of your laptop is in the same range as the camera. 
Yes , that sounds a good idea , will it talk to the Camera ! .

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the camera POE or does it have its own local supply. Reason is that POE distances can be shorter than 100M, I recently did one to 58M on 6A shielded on POE and I crossed my fingers but was good.

Hi Guys 

Would you Adam n Eve it  , left it connected overnight came to check this morning and Whalla we have lift of , can get pics from Phone n PC , so it seems that  ProDave had the answer , I was more or less 100% sure I had it connected ok and the cable was ok !  .

So there you have it , looking for a fault when there wasn't one can be very , very difficult .

Anyway thanks to everyone for there feedback , great site .

cheers

:signthankspin:

Spike

Is the camera POE or does it have its own local supply. Reason is that POE distances can be shorter than 100M, I recently did one to 58M on 6A shielded on POE and I crossed my fingers but was good.
Yes it has its own power supply .

cheers

Spike

Just another quicky here while we are on cctv , I have 2 more Camera's to put up , can they be all linked to one cable somehow or do I have to do a separate cable through the house wall to my Router for each Camera  ! .

cheers

Spike

I did a 110 metre cat 6 run to a studio. Like you it belled out, but didn't work.  As I sat there scratching my head why it dodn't work and what to do, it sprang into life.

I concluded because of the length it took the network adaptor in the pc some time to adjust to the poor signal over such a long cable.

I've run longer runs than that with cat5e with no problems. Ethernet doesn't just stop working at 100m, it is the maximum length at which the performance is expected to be 100%. There is nothing that specifically says that 200m runs don't work.

Yes I understood cat 6 was good for 100m , so I am well withing that range ,Pro Dave may have something there about the Router configuring itself for that length of cable .

Maybe I should just leave it connected overnight and see what it is like in the morning , I am nearly 100% ( nearly ) sure the cable and connectors are ok .

It'll either connect or it won't. it doesn't take time for it to decide to connect.

It's not that difficult, it is obviously not correctly connected.

Probably time to call someone with the correct tools and half an idea what they are doing rather than hoping people on the internet can guess their way through it.