Cable for CCTV IP

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkypenguin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some help due to a wiring balls up that I have made! :mad:

I am building a house and the plan was to use C5e cable for IP cctv cameras.
So I put the wiring in for my 8 cameras thinking it was Cat5e, however it wasn't! :cry:
I have attached a PDF of the cable that I have used.
I put 2 runs of the wire to each CCTV point as one was going to be a spare / to be used to carry the voltage to minimise any interference.
Obviously I do not want to have to rewire but if I need to then so be it.

So....
Can I use this cable for the power and if not then why not?

Can I use this cable for the signal if I can fit RJ45 plugs to it?
If I do have to replace it for the signal then should I use Cat5e or change to shotgun cable?
I have plenty of both cables but my Cat5e is unshielded if this makes any difference.

I would be grateful for any help.

Kind regards,
Mark.

Attachments

• 2408COFV-100.pdf
    592.4 KB · Views: 7
“Cat” cable is balanced twisted pair for noise rejection.
This Belden type cable is not.
Personally I would chalk it up to experience and swap it out for “Cat” cable.

try it and find out if it works! ;)

What I would do, alhough I think john's suggestion is better, is at the DVR end strip back and extra couple of inches of the sheath and joing the shielding, then bond that to the dvr box, which hopefully isn't class II, to earth it.

In theory It could work. BUT it is only theory and at each end of the cable you would have a junction/mess trying to connect the cables. Too much hassle and grief and mess to bother with. Look on the bright side, you have realised your error now, not later, so yes, change the cable/s now.

FYI Belden is a brand name (Many copies available now) Like Biro is to ballpoint pen.
As Sidewinder says cat cable is twisted pairs to prevent electrical noise, Belden cable is just screened*
cat.jpg Cat cable on the Left Belden cable on the right belden.jpg

(Binky posted while I was typing) A cat cable with its plug at each end will not only work, it will look considerably neater.

*Other variants are available

Can I use this cable for the signal if I can fit RJ45 plugs to it?

My gut feelings are....

This is not a solid core conductor designed to be pushed into the insulation displacement connectors of the typical RJ45 socket...

It can be hard enough getting a good connections with some of the lesser quality CAT5 cables and/or RJ45 connectors..
So it could end up being a bit of a "pissing-in-the-wind-exercise" trying to get it to work?

Although you may be able to cobble something up to get some bits working...

If or when part of your system throws a wobbler....
This cable will be the big "elephant in the room" or "circling Albatross" or "banana skin waiting to be trodden on" etc... etc... etc...

This type of 8-core screened cable is what we commonly used back in my younger days..
making up RS-232 leads.. soldering either 9-pin or 25-pin D-connectors for PC to Modem and/or Line-Drivers and/or Multiplexers...
to communicate with various factory systems.

Which all worked fine...
BUT..
(a) these were all mostly soldered connections, occasionally screw-terminal, but NOT I.D.C.
(b) they were running at Much-Much-Much lower speeds than your average modern day CAT5...

If you do proceed with using these cable.. And you get them to work reliably...
I am sure, that I am not alone in being very interested in your feedback?

If it was me...
I would replace & start again with proper twisted pair CAT5.

Oh.... forgot to say..
Welcome to the forumbulator.. 🍺

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the help on this.
I think the general consensus is that I should be grateful I discovered at an early stage where changing is still possible.
I'm still at the first fix stage and the majority of the cable isn't yet tied / clipped so counting my blessings!

With this in mind should I replace with cat5e U/UTP or shotgun?

Any point in running both to give flexibility?

Any point in leaving the 8 core in place?

And as the cat5e is U/UTP am I likely to get any interference issues carrying the voltage to the cameras on the same cable as the signal?

Any point in upgrading from my FREE cat5e U/UTP to shielded / cat6 etc?

Kind regards,
Mark.

Even totally unshielded cat5e?
Yes.
My last major project was Trent Valley Academy, I was Network Manager and had a £3.3M I.T. spend. We obviously had contractors in to do the install but it was all CAT5E/CISCO infrastructure £750k for the infrastructure alone, 1200 users, 20 blade servers virtualised to 50 servers, 30Tb SAN Array, 2000 devices and it was all good, no problems whatsoever.

Yes.
My last major project was Trent Valley Academy, I was Network Manager and had a £3.3M I.T. spend. We obviously had contractors in to do the install but it was all CAT5E/CISCO infrastructure £750k for the infrastructure alone, 1200 users, 20 blade servers virtualised to 50 servers, 30Tb SAN Array, 2000 devices and it was all good, no problems whatsoever.
Was this defo all unsheilded?