CCTV installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GK1313

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a couple of Kami outdoor (wired) cameras that I want to install for my mother and I have a couple of questions/issues.

The units come with a usb end, quite a sizeable one at that, and I don't want to make a huge hole in the wall to get the cable through. I'd also rather not take the usb end off so I was thinking about using a smaller usb cable (micro?) to pass through the wall and then using a connector for the two usb ends and putting it in a mounted box next to the camera.

1. Would it be ok to have the excess length of camera cable pooled up in this box or is this a hazard?

2. Ideally, the cable going through the wall I would pass through the same hole the sky tv cables go through. Is this ok or is this also a hazard?

Thanks is advance

If you are asking is there a fire risk in what you propose to do, the answer is no.

I would not put the CCTV cable through the same hole as any other cable, you may get electrical interference, there is also the high probability of "burning" the cable as you pull it in, or out some time later.

Best option in your case would be to make holes big enough in the first place to get cable/plug through, keep these cables away from any other cables, and use external filler to seal the holes.

Roughly a 25mm hole, not big to tradespeople 😃.

Can't see why an adaptor would not work, but your other option is to pass the cable out from under the eaves of the roof.

Thank you both very much for the replies. I honestly do appreciate it.

My main concern was fire risk, yes. As I'm a clueless novice and the fact it's an IP cam, then I probably didn't give interference too much thought.

I'd really rather not create the size of hole required for the usb and I'd rather not use the eaves unfortunately as it's a 3 storey house. If I can't get away with sharing the sky tv hole then I'll probably have to drill a smaller one and use an adaptor.