Changing energy suppliers .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
must have missed that post Dave, will check it out

I figured I need to get British Gas (current supplier) to change the meters from prepayment to credit. To do this they need to do a credit check. Imagine my surprise when they said sorry, we cant help you. Credit score has gone through the floor since moving house. Prior to moving I had a very good rating. Whats happened?

bad debt on the address Revo

we had that when we moved, was a fkn terrible bother,

took us a good couple of years to get it mostly sorted, although it still crops up every now and again depending on what credit agencies people use,

previous owners of our house hadnt paid mortgage for over 6 months and were weeks away from repo, thats why we got it so reasonably priced,  [in our budget ] for the area.

When we first moved here, in 2003, it was a new house, new address with no history.

We were refused interest free credit to buy a sofa. Prior to that I had a good credit rating.

bad debt on the address Revo

we had that when we moved, was a fkn terrible bother,

took us a good couple of years to get it mostly sorted, although it still crops up every now and again depending on what credit agencies people use,

previous owners of our house hadnt paid mortgage for over 6 months and were weeks away from repo, thats why we got it so reasonably priced,  [in our budget ] for the area.
About 5 miles from where I live there was an estate that had a bad credit rating, there had been that many scams carried out by people living there that they just blacklisted the whole estate! you only had to give an address that was on there and immediately you'd get "sorry, declined"!

The road names were changed several times in an attempt to do something! after many years of decline, and people not wanting to live there because of the credit problems, the council tore most of it down and rebuilt it with nearly half as many homes. Mind you, if you speak to anyone round here over a certain age, they still mention the name of the original estate even now.

must have missed that post Dave, will check it out

I figured I need to get British Gas (current supplier) to change the meters from prepayment to credit. To do this they need to do a credit check. Imagine my surprise when they said sorry, we cant help you. Credit score has gone through the floor since moving house. Prior to moving I had a very good rating. Whats happened?

Bit odd that should happen...bit like buying a car with outstanding finance . :(

Dunno what my score is but servicing many credit cards seems to work for me  :yawn  I think I could quite easily get up to £50k tomorrow and ***** it in the bookies as  that's what they want me to so with their money.

As for the meter can't you just bypass it for the time being ? Maybe run a small fridge off it so they don't notice? 

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
heres the wierd thing. I logged into experia and was told my score is 898 out of a maximum of 999 so phoned British gas to ask why that wasnt high enough to get a credit meter. It turns out its their own credit rating that matters. They still cant tell me why, it just comes back with a 'no' . I have updated my electoral roll details in the meantime and will have to stick with prepayment until the rating goes up. Do you think they are desperate to keep me so they can sting me with the 7.9% rise thats coming?

^^ is it too late to change suppliers ........... re the credit score, I would be asking them why its so low in a letter and see what they say.................

^^ is it too late to change suppliers ........... re the credit score, I would be asking them why its so low in a letter and see what they say.................
I can't change until the meters are changed to credit, and British gas own them and so have to change them but they won't until I'm seen as a worthy customer.

heres the wierd thing. I logged into experia and was told my score is 898 out of a maximum of 999 so phoned British gas to ask why that wasnt high enough to get a credit meter. It turns out its their own credit rating that matters

That's not weird, that's exactly how it works. Experian etc aren't official credit raters, or whatever. If I want to decided whether to lend you money I decide what factors I take into account, Experian may or may not be a reference I use. All Experian do is look at your history and estimate whether you would be a good risk or not, they do not provide anything other than their own 'best guess' effectively.

heres the wierd thing. I logged into experia and was told my score is 898 out of a maximum of 999 so phoned British gas to ask why that wasnt high enough to get a credit meter. It turns out its their own credit rating that matters. They still cant tell me why, it just comes back with a 'no' . I have updated my electoral roll details in the meantime and will have to stick with prepayment until the rating goes up. Do you think they are desperate to keep me so they can sting me with the 7.9% rise thats coming?

no idea about the prepayment meter part, but the electric at my unit is british gas. they sent a letter with price details for a new contract. various reasons, it never got sent until a month after previous expired. got a call yesterday saying the prices have expired and the new rates they were offering now are less than original and they are going to backdate it to when the previous ended...

no idea about the prepayment meter part, but the electric at my unit is british gas. they sent a letter with price details for a new contract. various reasons, it never got sent until a month after previous expired. got a call yesterday saying the prices have expired and the new rates they were offering now are less than original and they are going to backdate it to when the previous ended...

Why not just use the stable working version? I cannot think of a worse bunch to inflict a beta version on!

I think we've been on beta's for a long while as we travel on through the galaxy at light speed looking evermore for new versions of forum software we can exploit for the benifit of ourselves and our future selves. we will look back at this moment and remember with great dignity that we dared to be different and reach out among the stars.

:slap

I don't like to go on about it, but this forum software is a bit thick at times.

yep, bug with the reply bit. it has already been reported.  unless some forums do beta testing of new versions, then you wont find a 'stable' version anywhere since it wont have been tested

unless some forums do beta testing of new versions, then you wont find a 'stable' version anywhere since it wont have been tested

My point was, there are hundreds of thousands of users of IPB, some have hundreds and thousands of posts per day and the admins are constantly tweaking and fixing things. This forum is neither of those things, there is no reason to be on beta here.

None of the bugs I have reported here (or on other forums) have been fixed.

Just to update this topic, I phone BG again today and they wont do another credit check until its been 60 days since the last one so another week hanging around. While I was on the phone I asked what the tarrif was I was paying on prepayment meters. 

Gas: 3.33p/kwh and 27p/day standing charge

elec 14.37p/kwh and 27p/day 

Now when I finally get their approval and get credit meters 

gas will be 3.81p/kwh and 26.1p/ day

elec will be 15.72p/kwh and 26.1p/ day

so considerably MORE expensive to NOT have a prepayment meter

??????

confusing or what?

Latest posts