Possible to install permanent 'check' meter for import/export or keep old meter with new smart meter install?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lull

Reaction score
So after getting a small solar array installed under a grant scheme, I've decided to move from Bulb to Octopus to access their Agile tariff and Agile Outgoing (export) tariff. Seems sensible given current export rates on this tariff.

Obviously for this I will need a smart meter & have booked this in. I'd resisted getting one previously & given the mess that surrounded SMETS1 meters, I am glad for my caution. I still have some reticence, for a couple of reasons, but one aspect that I may have the ability to pre-emptively avoid is the (too common) issue of ongoing sagas around a faulty meter slightly over-estimating usage. It seems that eventually (after much work/time in identifying that it is not actually a vampire appliance or similar problem with internal electrics) people can get the supplier to install a check meter.

I am wondering if it would be possible for me to request that the smart meter installer leave the original meter in situ (I previously paid to have an isolation switch fitted between meter and consumer unit) as a comparison so that I can ensure the new meter is counting accurately? Alternatively, could I get an electrician to install something similar? I will be having my electrician round for various other tasks soon anyway, so could add this job on.

Can anyone see an issue with this? What type of meter would be best? I realise (from Bulb's info re export tariff) that you can get export meters that aren't 'smart', I'm guessing it would make sense to have both an import and export meter (or combined if there is such a thing)

I'm not interested in people saying 'it's unlikely to be faulty'. I recognise some believe this to be the case, but I have heard too many horror stories (at least two within my own circles of friends/family) and want some extra insurance against that. I realise if there was a problem the supplier would need to install their own calibrated check meter or whatever. However, having a secondary permanent consumer side meter would mean I would be alerted to & could be sure there was an issue before going down the route of asking the supplier for assistance & would provide extra evidence for expedience. I also realise that to others it may seem like an unnecessarily complex step to avoid an unlikely occurrence - however given the current prices of electricity, and my own sanity in the face of previous battles with companies - I'd rather that pre-emptive preventative action if possible.

Last edited:
Install an energy monitor eg OWL unit, that should give you enough information to confirm the accuracy of the Smartmeter.

Stories are often embellished and enhanced regarding Smart Meters, the press love it and it gets blown up out of all proportion. There have been some poor installations done that have ended up with fires but thats not a Smart Meter issue, thats an installation problem.

Stories are often embellished and enhanced regarding Smart Meters, the press love it and it gets blown up out of all proportion. There have been some poor installations done that have ended up with fires but thats not a Smart Meter issue, thats an installation problem.

I think its got far more to do with lazy people not checking their bills and relying on estimates provided by their energy providers - so when they get a smart meter, its a huge wake up call.

The answer to most people is make sure your supplier is using actual readings ................ every month

I think its got far more to do with lazy people not checking their bills and relying on estimates provided by their energy providers - so when they get a smart meter, its a huge wake up call.

The answer to most people is make sure your supplier is using actual readings ................ every month
Had this with a solar job on a new build house, customer thought the solar wasn't working properly until they worked out it was an estimated bill..

Had this with a solar job on a new build house, customer thought the solar wasn't working properly until they worked out it was an estimated bill..

On our local "nextdoor" there was an individual ranting about inaccurate her meter is and how her last bill was "so much" - mostly people were saying the meters are wrong, or the billing systems make mistakes. I asked her if her bills were estimates or actual readings - a screen shot was posted showing 3 x estimated quarters and the final one being an actual reading. no further postings were made after this by anyone!

Wonder why :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just to clarify, the ones I am talking about were nothing to do with estimated readings. I agree that there’s a lot of confusion out there for *some* people, but that’s not what we are talking about here. These meters were eventually found to be inaccurate - at a fair ol’ cost to the homeowners - they were never able to recoup all costs of investigation etc from the energy companies not to mention their time and frustration.

The difficulty with noticing and then pushing to get it verified was what made me wonder if actually there may be a fair few more inaccurate meters than is commonly thought. Small differences would get lost in the noise.

I still think the main problem is that too may people haven't got a clue about their actual usage, nor have any historic data. So they don't know about the accuracy

Thankyou for the responses folks. Is there a decent yet affordable meter you know of that shows both import & export readings on it, preferably on the screen at the same time (no need to press a button to switch between etc)?

Too complicated by far for most people.
On first sight maybe but there are loads of youtube videos and worksheets that illustrate most things.

I come from a background of assembler language programming, Home Assistant is a much higher level language so I was out of my depth but using Youtube and other resources I now have wireless clamps around my inverter AC supply, the battery DC feed to/from the inverter and my meter tails. I can view completely whats going on with my system at much higher rate than provided by the Growatt app and it was worth the 6 hrs of frustration. Still more to do though LOL.