Changing energy suppliers .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit late now, but when you moved in you should have 'lost' the prepayment meter, then called supplier saying you just moved in and there is no meter...

you may well then be stung for a new connection then?

I did a conversion knocking two small cottages into one. That left a spare supply head. The DNO wanted £1000 to remove it, so the owner declined. He moved that one onto a no standing charge tarrif, and it sits there now as a meter connected to nothing and a £0 per quarter bill.

so considerably MORE expensive to NOT have a prepayment meter

??????

confusing or what?

I had the same thing the other year, only nPower could remove their prepayment meter and all they could do was put me on their standard tariff. The day they changed the meter I switched suppliers.

cant switch until prepayment meters have gone
Yes you can, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! We are on prepay, have been for years, and we were with BG, however we got offered a good deal with UTILITA we gave them the details, and away it went. We got an email and letter telling us what date the changeover would take place and to run our credit down, they sent a meter monkey out and the meters got changed, we were with them for 2 years and got a better deal with OVO, so changed again, there's nobody can force you to keep their meter, if push comes to shove then do what I did years ago. I had a meter that I knew was reading wrong, charging me more than I was actually using, after several complaints and getting nowhere (BG) I rang them and told them if there wasn't someone here within 4 hours to replace it, then I'd remove it myself and throw it in the street, it's on my property, my rules! within the hour I had a meter monkey on the doorstep with a new meter.

the front cover could have an 'accident', then report the meter as dangerous so they have to change it. Might get stuck with another pre-payment meter mind you.

Latest posts