Compex Ex1, Ex 2, Ex 3 Ex 4 Course

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Technician

As Chris mentions JTL mark the papers, they are also the certification body for CompEx.  I have certainaly seen JTL checking an awarding center before allowing them to carry out CompeX courses, I have also seen them do a visit after 5 years of operation just as a follow up check.

Think JTL have managed to corner the market on this one.

Hope this helps

roys

Roys;  Many thanks.  You may understand why I am asking

because a lot of people set up training organisations and

all they see is the money.  Many do not realise why, in such

matters as these, a certification may be needed and that

the training is monitored and needs to be scrutinised.

All compex courses are done at approved centres, exam papers are all marked by jtl,

Im looking to do mine in the next month or so, either at NETA or at roxby both on teesside
This may be helpful if you got a mate with reg company in any European Country and he puts this course through his books you will avoid vat @ 21%  O)

Regards

D

dii said:
This may be helpful if you got a mate with reg company in any European Country and he puts this course through his books you will avoid vat @ 21%  O)

Regards

D
Neta and Roxby seem to be the keenest 745 and 765 pounds excluding vat!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Im thinking of doing my compex course to compliment my rope access qualifications. I have plenty of electrical experiance in industrial work but none in ex locations. Has anyone got any advice on the course or previous course notes etc.

Thanks Steve

Hi,

Im thinking of doing my compex course to compliment my rope access qualifications. I have plenty of electrical experiance in industrial work but none in ex locations. Has anyone got any advice on the course or previous course notes etc.

Thanks Steve
Steve I'm at NETA now, if you are used to SWA and SWB the physical installation is easy you just need to "really" swat up on ZONES, EPL's, Ex types, Gas groups and temperatur classes.

The theory side is 60 question multi choice PC based exam (with some right naughty worded questions)

The practical is selection, installation and inspection of above equipment into the correct areas and classes.

If you are going to NETA I'll try my best to give you a heads up and if you PM me I'll give you a link to a site with some good info and a practise exam.

Hi everyone

I have just started a new job and need to do compex training modules [SIZE=10pt]Ex01-Ex04[/SIZE]. On reading about the course i am now in full on panic mode!! The job i will be doing is a telecoms tech offshore, i have worked in the communications industry since i was 16 and im now 29. I am fine with terminating cables but im a million miles away from being an electrician.

Could anyone email me any revision notes so i can cram before my course starts, looks like im going to need all the help i can get. I have 2 young kids so losing my job due to failing a course is the last thing i need!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Danny

Hi Desmond

Personally not done that course at ASET (done mine at Fakirk and abroad)but spoke to many people who have and not heard any negatives except from the ones that you hear from all the courses, ie. time to do the practicals and so much info to take in especially if it is new to you.

'Not allowed to leave' think that must be in reference to the practicals, and they are only doing that so that you have the best chance of passing. The written side of it is multiple choice and is sent away to be marked. The good thing is that if yo do fail one part of it you only need to go and sit that part.

I see you are in Ireland, I am in Stranraer quite a lot, in fact this weekend, are you ever across the water, if so I can give you a load of practical and written stuff. I will make sure a gland or two with me.

Look up Hawke 501 universal glands as that is what you will probably be using although you will have a head start if you are familiar making these ends of for you practicals.

Speak soon roys

Hi guys 

I've booked my complex for a couple months time and was wondering if you guys ( roys or dii ) still had any paperwork / info that could help me out?

Any information would be appreciated 

cheers!

Hi guys,

I have just done the COMPEX at Falkirk college and it was pretty good. I think I have passed the practicals ok (I am a telecoms engineer/offshore tech) but not so confident with the theory test. Could anyone advise me what the I need to get out of 60 for the pass mark, thanks.

Good Morning... thanks for adding me to this group.

Could you kindly share some practical exercises or recommend easy manual to get prepared for compEx certification? 

I can`t see practise materials for theory exam on the WEB :(

Many thanks for your help

Diana

Steve I'm at NETA now, if you are used to SWA and SWB the physical installation is easy you just need to "really" swat up on ZONES, EPL's, Ex types, Gas groups and temperatur classes.

The theory side is 60 question multi choice PC based exam (with some right naughty worded questions)

The practical is selection, installation and inspection of above equipment into the correct areas and classes.

If you are going to NETA I'll try my best to give you a heads up and if you PM me I'll give you a link to a site with some good info and a practise exam.
Hi

I am also going  to do the multi-choice can you give me link to practise exam as you say the questions are worded to catch you out.

Thanks

Hi all,

Looking to do my COMPEX course, Ex1 - Ex4 and would like to know if either places in Aberdeen have a good rep (as I live 80 miles from there), or where else would be recommended?

Also, if someone could be so kind as to possibly email me a set of notes like I see roys has done previously then that would be great :)

Cheers guys,

Grant

grantgammie

at

h.....l

dcom

Hi grantgammie
I was wondering if you did your CompEx course?  I have mine at the end of February down in Basildon.  How did you find it if you did take it?

Cheers
Peter

he's never been online since last november since he posted the question...

good thing no-one replied to him, didnt bother to come back

Did my CompEx course, just got the results back, passed everything except the EX04 only questions on the multichoice.  Pass mark was 75% I got 78% but you need 75% in each area EX1 - EX4 on the multichoice, my bad!!

The intrinsically safe maintenance EX4 wasn't covered in much detail on the course, so ended up guessing the 5 EX4 questions on the paper, as I thought my other answers were pretty strong.  Good tip to anybody taking the exam, you need 75% in each of the areas, not just a total greater than 75%.  Wish that was explained to me earlier I may have tried to better guess them.

Good evening all, doing my Compex Monday been thrown in the deep end, I'm fully a qualified spark, 236 part 1 & 2, 2392, 2372, 2377 Qualified supervisor NICEIC Etc, but I have been given no detail on what to expect or do on the course any help before Monday would be appreciated by all

Regards

The course is very interesting, I did mine down in Basildon at the beginning of the year.  It's pretty straight forward, really enjoyed the practical exams, you do get plenty of time, just don't panic.  After being told by the "funny" adjudicator that nobody in cubical 3 has ever passed, I was a tad worried, some people are just not funny!! :)

You should get two books a tool box guide and a big CompEX book, my advice as well as the taking lots of notes, go through the small tool box guide a few times first, takes about an hour and a half once you have been through it once, then start to pad out your knowledge using the bigger book but keep the structure of the small tool box guide.  There is a lot of information to take in and retain.  Use the evenings to go through everything you have done that day, three days in the class room goes by so quick.

Don't underestimate the multiple choice, some of the questions have very close answers.  They should guide you through a few example questions nearer the end of the week, have a look through these as well, Example Questions.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for your insight, the practical side should be a breeze, I've made off SWA and Braided plenty of times but on this course do you use the hawke glands as well as the SWA glands, on the wiring of a bay is this straight forward, some say it's already in situ you just need to make off the ends and test.

The testing again should be a breeze after a 2391 and carrying out testing for the past couple of years.

The SWA gland that I have seen used over three different CompEx facilities is the Hawke 501 Universal gland.

The Universal means it can be used on SWA and braided cables, by reversing the clamping ring.

Good luck next week.

Hi

The glands you make off for the SWA are all Hawke.  There is a box of glands that you get when in the cubical and you need to select the correct glands for the correct zones which are marked on the boards and yes all the equipment is mounted, you wire between the zones.  You have one barrier gland to make off, Exd and the rest were Exe. You will have plenty of practice in one of the three classroom days.  One thing to watch, which should always be followed, don't cross your armours (instant fail), but under exam pressure you may forget to undo your glands and inspect that everything is proper.  The inspection exam, make sure you follow the schedule they provide to the letter, otherwise you start to go off into inspection la la land and start writing everything you see.  I found myself drifting off a few times but forced myself back on to the schedule, it's hard to describe under the exam conditions it happens.

Everything will be explained in the class room days with plenty of time to practice making off the Hawke glands and the IS stuff, there is a lot to retain in the 3 days, use the evenings to go over everything.

Good luck dude   :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts