Complete Newby

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Smiths

Reaction score
Hi Guys

1. I am looking to fit some solar to my home, first problem I have is due to a "Special classification" I am unable to fit panels to the house roof, this leaves me short of roof space as you can imagine. What Ive come up with is that I have a 3m x 1.1m log store to which I was intending fitting a couple of 1.5m x 1m panel connected to a micro inverter - first problem Ive found is that the most panels are 1.7m c 1.1m so I can only fit the one. I have found the JA solar one which is 2.2 x 1.1 and 545 Watts - I'm still wasting a lot of precious roof space.

2. My Shed roof is 5m x 3m and I was hoping to fit more than the 4 on there with either micro inverters or perhaps a 2.5KW inverter.

In an ideal world the panels would be 1.5m x 1.0m. I realise as it is, I'm only going to end up with 2.1KW of power plus 545 on the log store but due to my limitation am willing to accept this.

Does anyone have any suggestions please before I crack on

Cheers

Last edited:
how big is your garden?
Not big enough :) I already thought of having something on the ground or slightly raised but I'm surrounded by a 2m hedge on all sides and wouldnt have room. The shed and log store is my only chance.

Cheers
Smithy

Not big enough :) I already thought of having something on the ground or slightly raised but I'm surrounded by a 2m hedge on all sides and wouldnt have room. The shed and log store is my only chance.

Cheers
Smithy
I put mine on my workshop and built another shed, squeezed on 3kw. Extend/build bigger shed?

I put mine on my workshop and built another shed, squeezed on 3kw. Extend/build bigger shed?

I was thinking this but the only place for another shed is shaded by trees. I cant enlarge the current shed as im already against the maximum size of 5m x 3m permitted development.

Im very much stuck with what I have in regards to where I can put them so Its important for me to get it right.

Thanks again (to everyone) for your advice

I think I'm going to go with micro inverters,

1 for the log store (545w panel)
2 for the shed (4 x 545w panels) and daisy chain them

WVC 300/600/1200/1600W MPPT Solar Grid Tie Micro Inverter Waterproof Sine Wave

I dont believe these need a hub or anything to control them and they seem to be plug and play.

Does anyone have any comments regarding my choice ?

TIA