Congestion & emission charging comes to Birmingham

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does this scheme work in your town / city ?

We are told that the Inner Ring Road  will be the boundary  , there will be a thousand cameras  installed to photograph every number plate  and the bill will be in the post .  

The criteria is all vehicles except those made within the last 1/2 hour .

It includes buses , taxis , bin wagons, delivery trucks,  my van , wife's car  etc .   The only exception are military vehicles  and classic cars .   

Exempt are cars with an emission  Euro number of 6 or over .   

They are asking for opinions although it is , of course,  a fait accompli  .     I am wondering what happens to residents who live within the Inner Circle ...who may not be too affluent and own older vehicles  .....it appears they will be charged every day  :C .

A thought occurred to me  ,  the city is hosting the Commonwealth games ,    and all of a sudden , out of the blue , we MUST have a city that can BREATHE  and it will cost the motorist a fortune.      Delivery charges will be passed on to the consumer  naturally  , also bus  & taxi fares .

And also it includes the bin lorries ....the council own the bin lorries ......the council will be fining the bin lorries  and the council will have to find the money to pay the council ,  they could do that by increasing the council tax  so yet again the taxpayer will be paying more tax so that we can issue fines to ourselves  and if we don't pay we can take ourselves to court  and send ourselves to prison. 

Hhhhmm  I don't quite get the last bit . :C   

Who will get the ill when you have a company car which is via a lease company? 

By the time you get the bill it will be past the pay by date and a fine will be issued that's why I refused to drive in the centre of London

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question  Sceptic     ( You're not looking too well there)   

I've just been filling out the online questionaire .

They mention loads of bicycle lanes  and delaying charges for residents and  cash assistance for taxis , small businesses  etc  ,      remembering that anything of that nature  will have to paid by me  the ratepayer. 

Just steal the number plates off an identical vehicle .... problem solved ....there’s not even a tax disc to check or prove anything these days ....

Stealth tax and nothing more....

Being a Londoner n all that, I'm possibly a bit cynical but I dont think taxing or fining people will stop them from driving when they need to.

When they have built all these cycle lanes ( that wont get used by your average lycra clad terrorist ) and the bus lanes, the congestion will be worse. theres a video somewhere comparing pre CC london to the present day where in some areas you have 3-4 lanes are now reduced to one, add that to the increase in taxi's and delivery drivers that need to pick up passengers and deliver your goods there will be little effect on air quality.

The worst offenders for emmisions are taxis and public transport. Until both of those are sorted out them air quality will not improve...

The worst offenders for emmisions are taxis and public transport. Until both of those are sorted out them air quality will not improve...

Hum.... the numbers of taxi and private hire vehicles on the London roads have grown well ahead of the population ..... most of the private hire vehicles are not modern and not subject to the tests and emissions controls that the black cabs are ....

so why not limit the numbers of these vehicles and restrict licences to cleaner vehicles ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum.... the numbers of taxi and private hire vehicles on the London roads have grown well ahead of the population ..... most of the private hire vehicles are not modern and not subject to the tests and emissions controls that the black cabs are ....

so why not limit the numbers of these vehicles and restrict licences to cleaner vehicles ?
Stop thinking...

Used to it living in London. The next thing that WILL happen everywhere-has started in Westminster & Islington Boroughs is an additional £2.50 per hour in addition to normal fees  to park any diesel  vehicle. On street or council car parks

How much are you offering for my 1972 Landrover.  £0 historic vehicle road tax, MOT exempt since May this year, and now it seems emissions charging exempt.
  Oh and sub £100 classic car insurance.

Work out the annual saving and send me your offer.

How much are you offering for my 1972 Landrover.  £0 historic vehicle road tax, MOT exempt since May this year, and now it seems emissions charging exempt.

Alternatively I have two bikes that are also exempt... It would have to be a very big offer though...

Give me £500 and I’ll take it to the scrap yard.

Used to it living in London. The next thing that WILL happen everywhere-has started in Westminster & Islington Boroughs is an additional £2.50 per hour in addition to normal fees  to park any diesel  vehicle. On street or council car parks

id be taking a labourer onto jobs. park near by, drop off the tools & materials. he can then drive round the block a few times then come pick me up once jobs done

id be taking a labourer onto jobs. park near by, drop off the tools & materials. he can then drive round the block a few times then come pick me up once jobs done
We have had to do that before in central London on small callout jobs. Knowing its almost impossible to find a parking  space and vans height dont always fit  in multistorey car parks, also  somthing like £5 for 15 min around Oxford St i have dropped my mate off and just hang around on yellow lines . 

Latest posts