Connecting 3 Phase Bench Saw

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been asked by a friend to connect up a 3 phase saw for him. I'm not 100% sure how to connect it up so was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to the supply should be terminated?

I know the picture isnt great and i do have a few more if needed.

Thanks,

Mike

006.jpg

Could be PD, I can't see the outgoing terminals of the O/L well enough, don't be fooled by the 2 wires to & from the dc brake module.

Theres a 4 core going to the motor but i was a bit thrown with the L3 terminals being empty.

Apologies I thought i had better pictures. The motor connects to the very bottom left connections

164.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know where the motor connects, why a 4 core to the motor?

What is the spec of the S10?

It does say on the label.

What does the motor rating plate say.

I know where the mains goes, but, is it a 3ph machine?

If it's not & I tell you where to connect the 3ph and it blows up, I ain't gonna be popular with you or your customer.

Its a 32a fuse in the carrier. I've not looked at the motor plate, I suppose that would have been the sensible thing to do  :facepalm:

If it turns out to be a single phase, where would the supply connect?

Last edited by a moderator:
The fuse is a 32A?

You need to trace the red wires, I would have expected that to be a control fuse.

If not the fuse should be a semi-conductor ultra fast acting fuse.

Where do the red's go?

Is it a semi-conductor fuse?

Thinking about it, there should be a sticker on the side of the enclosure, giving you the build data, voltage current, build order no. etc.

What does that say?

I'm going back later today so I'll have a look then. Thanks for the replies

The motor is a 3 phase 2.2kw. Struggling with pics as signal is poor

IF, that is a standard Crompton Controls dc brake/DOL starter unit for a 3ph motor, the supply goes into L1, L2, L3 on the top of the LH contactor.

Now if it has been modified then lord knows.

You need to check the fuse is it a gM, gG, aM, or gR?

You also need to find where the reds to and frm the fuse holder go.

They look like 1.0mm sq to me so that suggests a control fuse, supported by the wiring being red as against black which would signify a.c. control wiring.

I checked the fuse and it's 4a. Thanks for your help I'll give it a go tomorrow

I can get an artic on the drive @ home & the drive is strong enough to take it, but no FLT, so handballing it off could take a while! ;)