consumer unit question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the reply. RCBO's are a little expensive, especially when considering that what im trying to do will be multiplied by 20 (for 20 apartments)

thanks for the insight, very appreciate that

Single up front RCD's don't comply with BS7671 and twin RCD boards are so yesterday ............

Install does often come down to manufacturer instructions really but I share your frustration when wanting to plan an install before buying anything and not being able to get said instructions!

I've never seen or used an over/under voltage relay so can't comment on its best installation location or purpose.

Surge devices often need their own MCB but some don't if they have a built in fuse.

Surge protection in the UK should have as short a live supply and earth connection as possible. Next to main switch and main earth terminal are good. Surge devices have lots of general info on this.

Try giving them a call! 

Also, different terminology like 'elcb' or 'rccb', 'utility meter' or  'main supply' is only a distraction from what you're trying to achieve.

🤔
thanks for your message.  yes indeed its frustrating. i actually have said components in hand but once i am sure the setup is good will need to buy more of them. i followed the manufacturer instructions and this reflects the original diagram. but you know, my believe was that surge protection and over/under voltage relay were much more common and most people in the uk would know how to wire them with their eyes closed. But apparently I was mistaken, also after lot of research online i couldn't find an example of my setup so at first i assumed that its totally wrong . thanks for the insight!

thanks for the reply. RCBO's are a little expensive, especially when considering that what im trying to do will be multiplied by 20 (for 20 apartments)

thanks for the insight, very appreciate that

Single up front RCD's don't comply with BS7671 and twin RCD boards are so yesterday ............

?? not sure if your message was a mistake? cant understand what you mean, sorry

So from your answers..

and your questioning of Murdoch's post..

I get the impression that you actually don't understand the concept of how (RCD's/ELCB's) work?

:shakehead

I think Jow we need to establish some basics here: 

you say that you are in Malta native or ex pat? 
you say that the installs are similar to English, so what regs do you use? Maltese or British? 
you say you are a spark- to Maltese standard or British ? 

once we know what or where you are coming from then we may or may not be able to advise correctly. Whilst all electricity is the same the applicable regs can differ dramatically. It would be wrong to advise you on how we do it if it’s not compliant with the Maltese standard. 

so if you can help us to help you then we can move forward 

yet he appears to be a 'sparky' and trying to wire 20 apartments the same...
i know you are trying to be funny and i appreciate the humor really.🤣

May you enlighten me what wrong with wiring  20 (or 20 million for what matters) apartments the same way? given that each apartment is virtually identical and with its own electrical meter thus each is a stand alone unit.💩

So from your answers..

and your questioning of Murdoch's post..

I get the impression that you actually don't understand the concept of how (RCD's/ELCB's) work?

:shakehead

my questioning was because i'm not sure from where his assumption comes from.

again I appreciate any comments and by all means keep on having fun if you are finding this amusing😘.  not sure whats so entertaining by replying just to belittle someone else questions 😜

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Jow we need to establish some basics here: 

you say that you are in Malta native or ex pat? 
you say that the installs are similar to English, so what regs do you use? Maltese or British? 
you say you are a spark- to Maltese standard or British ? 

once we know what or where you are coming from then we may or may not be able to advise correctly. Whilst all electricity is the same the applicable regs can differ dramatically. It would be wrong to advise you on how we do it if it’s not compliant with the Maltese standard. 

so if you can help us to help you then we can move forward 
thanks for the reply and trying to help. Ex-pat but we use Malta Reg  - which are/were similar to the uk as far as I know (but things in the UK change fast compared to here and i dont keep track, no reason to do so actually)

Residential electrical installations locally are very similar to one another and while i have been personally involved in 100+ installs, they are more or less the same with only small differences - mainly the number of rcbo's/mcb's. Obviously, all installs have to be up to local code because they require approval from concerned inspectors.

I actually managed to sort the working diagram with the invaluable help from another source. (it needed only minor edits but at least i was given the go ahead by much experienced individuals who done that already)

in case someone in the future stumble upon this, im re-uploading the completed diagram.  said installation have surge protection as well as over/under voltage protection.  the secondary meter is  not required/optional and specific to my case. the top components are only required if theirs a long distance between apartment and  utility meter (hence )

Obviously one has to follow the regs of the country of the install, as well as the manuals/installation instructions of the components one have.

thanks again
meters.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i know you are trying to be funny and i appreciate the humor really.🤣

May you enlighten me what wrong with wiring  20 (or 20 million for what matters) apartments the same way? given that each apartment is virtually identical and with its own electrical meter thus each is a stand alone unit.💩

nothing at all wrong with wiring the same way - if anything its better to do so. its more the fact that its a paid job where you are doing electrics profesionally rather than DIY in your own home, yet you dont know how to do it...

nothing at all wrong with wiring the same way - if anything its better to do so. its more the fact that its a paid job where you are doing electrics profesionally rather than DIY in your own home, yet you dont know how to do it...
of course your majesty. thanks for pointing that out🤣... it would have helped if you attempted to contribute and show your vast god like knowledge, as oppose to just post messages trying to make fun of others🤩 be proud of yourself

The drawing you post is ok, I’ll only add that the two RCD’s in series will cause you issues unless discrimination is accounted for.  

thanks for your message and yes indeed discrimination will be done via time delay. thanks again

Latest posts