Consumer Unit.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you also order the inner gloves or do you like sweaty hands? Also full face visor, flash overalls and rubber mat?

TBH PPE is a last resort and you should be isolating. If you isolate then there's no need for PPE.

Did you also order the inner gloves or do you like sweaty hands? Also full face visor, flash overalls and rubber mat?

TBH PPE is a last resort and you should be isolating. If you isolate then there's no need for PPE.

No but very close to treating myself to the insulated wellies though that way if I ever do a runner from a job I can disguise myself as chicken plucker 

Pro tip: if you have a cold whilst working live, remember to lift the visor up before you sneeze... 

// swedy - TEF test dummy since 2012

Thanks 

Ahh pretty sure I am with you when you say fairy I think!

It is not uncommon to come across a domestic installation where the suppliers fuse and/or meter connection cover have no seals fitted. As some unknown third party has removed them at some unknown time in the past. In which case it can be wise to have a few suitable seals in your toolbox to make a temporary fix so you don't have to leave a site with a known danger, if the DNO are unable to attend within a reasonable timeframe. And as numerous relatively cheap solutions are available I am sure you can budget to make sure you don't leave any installations with the risk of unskilled persons having easy access to potentially lethal live parts. Just to assist you,

Temporary Fix: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/electric-meter-seals 

Full solution: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

Obviously the first port of call is to contact the relevant electrical distribution company, for your area. phone numbers can be found on the above link.

Doc H

It is not uncommon to come across a domestic installation where the suppliers fuse and/or meter connection cover have no seals fitted. As some unknown third party has removed them at some unknown time in the past. In which case it can be wise to have a few suitable seals in your toolbox to make a temporary fix so you don't have to leave a site with a known danger, if the DNO are unable to attend within a reasonable timeframe. And as numerous relatively cheap solutions are available I am sure you can budget to make sure you don't leave any installations with the risk of unskilled persons having easy access to potentially lethal live parts. Just to assist you,

Temporary Fix: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/electric-meter-seals 

Full solution: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

Obviously the first port of call is to contact the relevant electrical distribution company, for your area. phone numbers can be found on the above link.

Doc H
Cheers Doc that's good knowledge I can take in and didn't even think you could buy the seals TBF.

Thanks

The trouble with the energy market these days, is the DNO won't always take instruction from the customer or an electrician, and you have to inform your energy supplier about things like missing seals or otherwise dangerous conditions. Some energy suppliers are better than others. I remember one memorable occasion when I tried to report dangerous meter tails to N Power. All I had was a parrot on the other end of the phone and no matter what I said and how dangerous I described the situation, all I got was "put your request in writing"  which I did but I don't know the outcome.

It should not be like that.

Hum ............ seals missing on the DNO fuse ................... isn't a danger imho.

I wouldn't agree at all. If that fuse is removed there are considerable exposed live parts then available to touch. I would say that the seals are absolutely essential for safety.

The trouble with the energy market these days, is the DNO won't always take instruction from the customer or an electrician, and you have to inform your energy supplier about things like missing seals or otherwise dangerous conditions. Some energy suppliers are better than others. I remember one memorable occasion when I tried to report dangerous meter tails to N Power. All I had was a parrot on the other end of the phone and no matter what I said and how dangerous I described the situation, all I got was "put your request in writing"  which I did but I don't know the outcome.

It should not be like that.

LOL. I asked someone to contact the NIE (DNO) to have an isolator fitted. Apparently the NIE told them that it was the Electrician's job. Not sure how they expected it to be safely fitted to energised meter tails.

I wouldn't agree at all. If that fuse is removed there are considerable exposed live parts then available to touch. I would say that the seals are absolutely essential for safety.

er no ............ the fuse is in place, and when you pull the fuse you would still have to stick your fingers in ..............

The DNO equipment is outside the scope of an EICR ............. only a comment can be made.

Latest posts