Cooker and Hob Query?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whazza2

Reaction score
Hi, doing a rewire and the customer is having a cooker with a separate hob in the kitchen.

Do I need to put 6mm cable in for the cooker and continue as a radial for the hob, or would the hob go on the kitchen ring main?

Thanks

It would depend on the ratings of each.

If one is under 3kw and one is over I'd run a 32A in for one and then have a spur off the ring for the other.

If both are under 3kw then I'd use 1 32A feed for both and fit 2 fused spurs under the worktop level somewhere

If both are over 3kw then I'd run in 2 32A supplies.

Simples.

Hi Whazza2 If you are running in a new circuit then design it to accomodate both the cooker [oven ] & hob.

It is preferable not to install a fixed load onto the kitchen ring unless you have no other alternative....clearly in this instance you do have the choice.

a1spark.

Dont know whazza2. that depends on the total loading of the appliances after applying diversity and also on the installation method etc.You have got to do the calcs mate .

a1spark

Ok will have a look tommorrow :D

Is there a requirement that there must be an isolator for the cooker or can you wire straight from the consumer unit into an outlet plate?

Ok will have a look tommorrow :D Is there a requirement that there must be an isolator for the cooker or can you wire straight from the consumer unit into an outlet plate?
Fit a local means of isolation

Ok will have a look tommorrow :D Is there a requirement that there must be an isolator for the cooker or can you wire straight from the consumer unit into an outlet plate?
Isolator required for both within 2 mtrs, but it can be the same isolator for both.

Electric Hobs normally around 6 Kw and seperate fan ovens 2.3 Kw or so and often come with 13 A plug on.

I normally wire 6mm Radial cct via 45 Amp Double pole isolator or Cooker Panel with socket, down to double box sunk in wall with cooker connection plate for Hob and single socket for Oven.

Is there a requirement that there must be an isolator for the cooker or can you wire straight from the consumer unit into an outlet plate?
Oh, I was assuming you were an electrician. There should be a electrician\non-electrician tag on the user profile to make answering questions a bit easier.

Just found out from customer that they will be getting a 7900w Hob and a 4900w cooker.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Im actually qualified! with 17th edition and new am2.

Just not a domestic installer, mainly maintenance hence my ignorance.

Just found out from customer that they will be getting a 7900w Hob and a 4900w cooker.What would be the best way to go about this?
Diversity for cooker 10A + 30% of remainder

7.9+4.9 = 12.8kw

12.8kw/230V = 56A

10+(30% of 46A) = 23.8A

The vet would go for a 32A 6mm

No?

Would it be better to go for a 32A 6mm for hob and a 25A 4mm for cooker?

A single 32A circuit should be adequate, its just the same as a normal cooker but its split into 2 parts.