Hot zones - Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Reaction score
Can I replace an electric hob for a similar one if there is a socket/switch in what is considered the "hot zone". I realise this is usually for Gas appliances but hearing more and more electrical appliances also need to consider this. I know for new builds and rewires there are distances but what it the sockets been there many years and the customer cant afford ot have it moved?

If you mean the area directly above the hob there should not be any sockets or other electric accessories there .
if you will change the hob anyway you could help to mitigate the risk by installing an induction hob and using the front heating elements . Its not only the heat but also trailing leads from a socket and the grease and moisture from cooking.

Can I replace an electric hob for a similar one if there is a socket/switch in what is considered the "hot zone". I realise this is usually for Gas appliances but hearing more and more electrical appliances also need to consider this. I know for new builds and rewires there are distances but what it the sockets been there many years and the customer cant afford ot have it moved?
Been part of building regs for a very long time. Blank off with metal plate