cooker switch near sink

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Re wiring a very small kitchen. Cooker is next to the sink. Can't put switch directly above cooker. Therefore wanted to double check whether there are any regs relating to the distance a switch/socket should be from a sink. I was going to put the switch high level above the sink. I know this is not the best practice, but think its the only practical way.

Cheers

What about the obvious, the OTHER side of the cooker to the sink?

I retro fitted a cooker supply last week (previously just a gas cooker) and there was nowhere for the switch without spoiling the tiling which the customer didn't want, so I put it above the cooker (only very slightly to the right of it) high up above the line of the tiles next to the cooker hood.

What about the obvious, the OTHER side of the cooker to the sink?I retro fitted a cooker supply last week (previously just a gas cooker) and there was nowhere for the switch without spoiling the tiling which the customer didn't want, so I put it above the cooker (only very slightly to the right of it) high up above the line of the tiles next to the cooker hood.
There is a door there mate. Basically the cooker is in the middle, door to the left and a sink to the right. There is a window above the cooker!

Cheers

No sockets within 300mm from the edge of the sink & draining board.

No sockets or accessories above the gas or electric hob. Again NO sockets or accessories (including cooker switch) within 300mm from the gas or electric hob.

No sockets within 300mm from the edge of the sink & draining board. No sockets or accessories above the gas or electric hob. Again NO sockets or accessories (including cooker switch) within 300mm from the gas or electric hob.
What about 400mm above the sink?

The draining board is butted against the wall.

kitchenpq.jpg

Is in the cupboard below the sink not an option ? As wherever it goes not gonna be perfect in your situation mate
Good point. Ideally I'd like it HL above the sink, but not sure if the regs allow it.

there are no regs as such to specify distance however the switch should be appropriate for the conditons

a higher level maybe the best option although it will be not very pleasing to the eye

Gas regs say nothing should be less than 600mm above cooker, not sure if that applies to electric cookers, but I would go for undersink as suggested above
I'm sure a plumber would say it will.

what about mountint the cooker switch inside a ip65 weatherproof box above the sink :^O :^O no? ok ill get my :coat
or ip 44

get mine while your there:coat

Surely there must be at least one cupboard the isolator can go in? Nowt stopping you putting it in the cupboard under the sink, just position it to be accessible and away from the pipes & drain.

For some reason the owner didn't want it in one of the cupboards. Is there a reg that says it cant go where shown below?

Cheers

kitchen2d.jpg

No sockets within 300mm from the edge of the sink & draining board.
As mentioned there is no reg to say that. (300mm)

No sockets or accessories above the gas or electric hob. Again NO sockets or accessories (including cooker switch) within 300mm from the gas or electric hob.
Then My house fails on ALL of the above and the NICEIC spark who did it, needs a stern talking to. :eek: